My rusty/ratty 1948 Chevrolet truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled the motor to fix some oil leakes and while I was at it, I swapped cams. I took out the 350 horse 327 cam and stuck in the second smallest Lunati Voodoo cam.

Broke the cam in to Lunati's directions...20 minutes at 2500 rpm then 3000 for 1 minute, then 3500 for one minute.....then was supposed to work down by 500 rpm steps for 1 minute.

While doing the 3500 rpm step (21 miutes into breakin...in the driveway), a hoseclap on the lower radiator hose failed and the lower hose blew off of the water pump.

Not sure if it cooked the rings or cracked/warped the heads.

If this motor craps out...I have a good guess as to why.

I did not hurt the motor.

I adjusted the valves with the motor running and all is well. Looks like I did not have the lifters properly pumped up when I did my initial valve adjustment.

I feel dumb for leaving it parked for a couple of months...dreading tearing into the motor again.

Glad that it turned out well. Funny how we often put off doing something because we fear what we are going to get into. Then when we finally knuckle down it turns out to be a simple fix, and we wonder why we put it off so long.

Nice to see an updated post on your thread.

I pulled the motor to fix some oil leakes and while I was at it, I swapped cams. I took out the 350 horse 327 cam and stuck in the second smallest Lunati Voodoo cam.

Broke the cam in to Lunati's directions...20 minutes at 2500 rpm then 3000 for 1 minute, then 3500 for one minute.....then was supposed to work down by 500 rpm steps for 1 minute.

While doing the 3500 rpm step (21 miutes into breakin...in the driveway), a hoseclap on the lower radiator hose failed and the lower hose blew off of the water pump.

Not sure if it cooked the rings or cracked/warped the heads.

If this motor craps out...I have a good guess as to why.

Kudos for not grabbing the nearest hammer and beating the bejeezus out of it; I think I would have gone ballistic. Glad to see it survived!

I was bored today. Here is a screen print of the Alan Jackson video.

jackson.jpg

and a pic taken at this past weekends "Bunny Run"

IMG_0947.jpg

flipper,

i hope you dont mind but i like the way you did your truck and i happen to run across one on the cheap.

i might be building my 1st rod close to yours but different if you dont mind.

terry

flipper,

i hope you dont mind but i like the way you did your truck and i happen to run across one on the cheap.

i might be building my 1st rod close to yours but different if you dont mind.

terry

Go right ahead. I'm really surprised that there haven't been many of these hot rodded in the past. I think they look cool.

If there is anything you want to know about mine, feel free to ask.

-Richard

hey I meant to ask if you had any shots up under the cab? How close was the S10 frame to the body mounts? Also, what was the S10 before ie: reg cab, ext cab? Just curious. I have a 50 GMC 2 1/2 ton that I am not sure if I am going to use as a car hauler or put it into a street rod. Thanks in advance!

hey I meant to ask if you had any shots up under the cab? How close was the S10 frame to the body mounts? Also, what was the S10 before ie: reg cab, ext cab? Just curious. I have a 50 GMC 2 1/2 ton that I am not sure if I am going to use as a car hauler or put it into a street rod. Thanks in advance!

I don't think I have any under floor pics on hand. Next time I go to dad's, I'll snap a few. I built a 1x2 subframe under my floor. The tubing is verticle behind the rockers and laying flat going cross-cab in three places (at toe board, just in front of seat riser and under the rear where it fit best) There are also angled pieces that run next to the trans, between the toe and seat pieces. My body mounts bolt to the cross-cab pieces (six cab mounts, 3 per side...overkill). I also welded in 8x8 or so 1/8" sheetmetal patches where the seatbelts mount. these are also welded to the subframe. I used jeep cj5 body mount rubbers between the subframe and the frame mounts.

I mounted mine kinda close (2-3 inches). If I did it again, I'd space it up a bit more. 4-5 inches will still be a low truck (with suspension mods lay running boards) and have more room for a radiator and less trans tunnel. FYI....My exhaust hangs low because I wanted it to be seen, not because it has to be there.

Mine was a 1991 extended cab GMC S-15 (because its 5 better than a S-10).

This pic of my driver side fenderwell is the best I have now. It kinda shows how I did it. The green tube is my subframe at the toe board. The red thing is the jeep body mount rubber. It also gives a referrence to the body height.

HPIM0212.jpg

cool. Thanks. It does kinda show the frame spacing. it seems to be about right for the body width wise.

cool. Thanks. It does kinda show the frame spacing. it seems to be about right for the body width wise.

The purple line on the frame is where the tire comes close to the frame. The brake lines and proprtioning valve are outside of the reach of the tire.

HPIM0212.jpg

Also, my wheels have deep backspacing....something like 5.5 inches to help them tuck on a stock S-10.

Normal wheels wouldn't tuck as hard on your truck.

Cool. Good info, thanks. I was thinking of pushing the wheels out towards the edge of the fender more. Guess I am WAY behind on all 4 of my projects! Time to hussle![;)

Cool. Good info, thanks. I was thinking of pushing the wheels out towards the edge of the fender more. Guess I am WAY behind on all 4 of my projects! Time to hussle![;)

I personally like the tucked look. ....and I can turn without rubbing the fenders (w/ 255/35/20 front tires!)

Latest posts

Back