Mini Muscle Car

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thank You old 28.

I assembled the 406 short block (not pictured). Ordered LS7 valve springs, screw in studs and an intake manifold for the Vortec heads pictured here on an empty block.
The cold weather makes it hard to keep up the enthusiasm but it is supposed to warm up a little this weekend. I should be able to keep rolling on both projects now that I have a little spare change.

Finally, the 406 short block is in the hole. I put screw in studs and LS 7 springs on the Vortec heads as well as drilling steam holes in them.
I have to put the block in without the heads because it sits back so far under the cowl that the cherry picker won't go under there with the heads on.

Bob,
I glad I'm not the only one that builds something that's so tight quarters.
I had to pull the cab to get my engine in.

Looking great. That's going to be a quick little ride. I love it.

Ya Bob, talked to my grandkids in MI the other day and they said it has been a cold winter so far. Not to cold out west but we are getting a lot of rain, we need it bad.[cl

That motor location makes for a tuff pull & installation. What kind of HP will it make? how much will the finish build weigh? Should be a fun ride on the street and strip.[P

Keep at both builds, we love watching and learning.:eek:

Nice to hear from you, Tom. We have had above freezing temps for a few days and it is going to continue for a few more days. Nice.

Sorry to say, it is a low compression 406 but the small chamber Vortec heads should help. Should run on 87 octane though. I'm figuring 375-390 HP and 2,600 pounds. It should scoot pretty good.

Good to see you are getting some much needed rain out there. Too bad NHRA ruined the Cacklefest at the CCHR. They can't screw up the March Meet however.

Ya Bob, The March meet is safe for know, but NHRA will find a way, they are a one group wrecking crew when it comes to screwing up a good thing.:(:(

Nice thing is that the Bowers (Bakersfield Track Owners) own the rights to the March Meet. :rolleyes:

We will see how the race goes in March.:eek:

I think both projects will be great rides, lots of fun.;)

Keep at it & keep worm.

The seat is pretty far back and the door handle is way forward so I made this primitive sliding rod system so I an open the door. Also, the original handle hit the roll cage and the door wouldn't shut. The doors now have aluminum door panels held in place with Riv-Nuts and 10-24 SS Allen button head screws. I haven't figured out knobs for the home made window cranks yet.

The March Meet is live streamed from Bakersfield by Bangshift.com this weekend. Many hours of nostalgia drag racing.

Got some 145R-15 radials for the front and mounted them on the Americans. There is a slight interference at the front of the wheel well. Will have to reshape the wheel well a bit. If the springs don't settle then drop spindle will get the front lower.

Were you a fighter pilot in a past life? Some of the little rides you stick yourself in, gives me the idea you might like a cockpit on a plane,,,

I'm still P.O'ed at Photopail but I hope posting pics works without it. After some clean up, fix up, paint up projects around the old homestead I finally got back on the Renault. Gradually putting it together. It's ready to start but I'm reluctant to do it and find out something isn't right. Instead I bent and installed the seat back bar and the door bars. The wiring and aluminum interior is finished. It's got brakes and a new driveshaft.

Attachments

• interior 001.jpg
    interior 001.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 65
  • interior 002.jpg
    interior 002.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 63
I'm still P.O'ed at Photopail but I hope posting pics works without it. After some clean up, fix up, paint up projects around the old homestead I finally got back on the Renault. Gradually putting it together. It's ready to start but I'm reluctant to do it and find out something isn't right. Instead I bent and installed the seat back bar and the door bars. The wiring and aluminum interior is finished. It's got brakes and a new driveshaft.

What's the worst than could happen, BOOOOM [S
Glad to see progress [;)

It's almost all together and sitting on all fours. It runs. Moves forward and back. Stops. It's loud. It leans to the left an inch. I don't know why. The back wheels shouldn't be on this car.

Attachments

• Whole Renault 003.jpg
    Whole Renault 003.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Whole Renault 001.jpg
    Whole Renault 001.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Whole Renault 004.jpg
    Whole Renault 004.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 52

Latest posts

Back