Cyclops

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the lack of updates lately, but we all know that life gets in the way sometimes. I've been busy...new internet setup has me doing things a whole different way but it's doing great as long as I keep figuring things out. I've also been busy doing repairs around the house and on vehicles too and trying to keep this build going. Remodeling the upstairs on this old log house and the first thing I did was rebuild the balcony...25 years old...new now:

Then I moved inside and turned the bedroom and bath upside down,,,no pix yet. Had a little trouble with my chevy and old reliable. Slung a rocker loose again...sheesh..fixed! And although I'm still building this kart, We're banging it good...on with the show.
[URL=http://s97.photobucket.com/user/DickCarroll/media/Trucks/DSCN0284_zpsx7rq67js.jpg.html]
DSCN0287_zpseg7cdsod.jpg
[/URL]

More on the chassis...put it "one wheel pull and one wheel brake". These torque converters kinda vary the speed with the throttle, even slowing down. So it's just the basics. One toggle switch for ignition. One pedal for throttle. And a hand brake mounted outside the cowl. Trying to look similar to the inspiration G-N. There were 2 levers on the side of the original, one for brake, and one for trans shifting. Maybe a couple of the pix show the basic shape the way I laid the sub frame in for the floor, The body will folow those lines.

I made a few passes around my road here on my place...haulin a of course...Initially ran into engine shutdown on sharp turns...ya know, sideways...found out that you need to disconnect the low oil shutdown circuit in order to make tight stuff. These little motors were intended to be worked on...easy access, light aluminum, hipo parts easy and cheap. I've done some of the most basic upgrades already and I'll get into that a little later.
I told ya'll in a previous post that we were banging it pretty hard,,,My buddy Jr. came out to check it out...ok, he's willing....off he goes, ran into the same shutdown problems so pix are short.(problem has been resolved) I got one of him coming around but it was coasting at that point...then, after spending quite a while playing, I'm set up with the camera at an opportune place to catch him in a brody, I'm listening, he's comin, bang, nuttin...

Wow! That's a Brody alright.:eek::D:cool:
Glad everyone appears to be fine.
Good to see you back at it smallfoot.
Love the cabin. The last house that my wife and I built was log.
Torchie

I love the log house and the balcony. Looks like a great place to live. Wish I could find something like that to rent next winter.

Too bad someone planted that tree in the way. You know how to fix stuff though.

ouch! he probably feels real bad already but at least you have something to hang **** on him for the rest of his life. [cl

Thanks for the comments guys! The tree is ok! heheh! No fault of Jr.'s. It was a slight builder error...:rolleyes:. Jeez, Spent a bunch of time under and over this kart making sure all the welds were complete before the test runs....well, duh! what about the big, right out in the open steering column with the welds just tacked??? Junior was trying to explain his way thru the tree incident when I found what gave up the ghost...He's ok! It took about 4 hours to disassemble and fix then reassemble. The next evening, the grandkids and the big kids ran it till it was too dark to see the road...
It will get lights but that will come with the body work. I'll get some more pix tomorrow and explain what tweaks I've done to the motor so far. We thought that it was a little sluggish on the first rides, but further investigation tells me we need more traction. When you give it gas, it acts like it taking a while to get to speed. When you look behind you, it's throwing dirt.....so, trying to discover some better ideas for tires.

Small, I knew you were a tree hugger at heart! Glad Jr and your car and your tree are all OK!

Some kind of dirt track tires maybe? The ones you have now look like they have about one inch of tread on the ground. Maybe let some air out of them. I du-know...

Looks like a blast, though.

Small, I knew you were a tree hugger at heart! Glad Jr and your car and your tree are all OK!

Some kind of dirt track tires maybe? The ones you have now look like they have about one inch of tread on the ground. Maybe let some air out of them. I du-know...

Looks like a blast, though.

I'm looking for some better treads. Most of the kart builders are using honda wheels . There are only a few that can be modded to the hubs you can find for the karts. I believe CT 50 and 90 and the rears on a 125 not sure of the model designation. I figured I could get by with these while a figuring a way to get some spokes. I used 4 lug trailer wheels which are 4 on 4", the same as the hubs, and went with motorcycle tires on those rims...I might have been better off with trailer tires. They might have been a little taller than these. The mc tires just spread out and squatted and I gotta keep them aired hard or I'm afraid I'll lose a bead under pressure. Found out some early MGs were 4 on 4" too and they would be kool, but find a set,,heheh!

I'm looking for some better treads. Most of the kart builders are using honda wheels . There are only a few that can be modded to the hubs you can find for the karts. I believe CT 50 and 90 and the rears on a 125 not sure of the model designation. I figured I could get by with these while a figuring a way to get some spokes. I used 4 lug trailer wheels which are 4 on 4", the same as the hubs, and went with motorcycle tires on those rims...I might have been better off with trailer tires. They might have been a little taller than these. The mc tires just spread out and squatted and I gotta keep them aired hard or I'm afraid I'll lose a bead under pressure. Found out some early MGs were 4 on 4" too and they would be kool, but find a set,,heheh!
Some of the early MG wheels are cool looking, too. 15 x4 if I remember correctly. I'll bet repops are out there. Find the local British car club. They will know. Some of that crowd can be as stuffy as the lads on the Pork board, but a bit of diplomacy goes a long way. Then there is the possibility of finding the bolt on splined hubs and you can get wires with knock-offs. Not sure if the hubs are 4-on-4, but I remember taking a lot of those cars apart in the early '70s working in a foreign car only wrecking yard in So. Cal. Those old painted MG wire wheels were very cool.

Here's some of the up grade stuff so far...

The free flow filter, intake manifold, an upgraded jet, and new gaskets. I also made my own stinger...

It's fashioned from a piece of cross-over pipe from a set of HD pipes and a piece of Panhead handlebar...

MG Midget rims are 13" 4x4
MGB rims are 14" 4x4.5
MGTD are 15" 5x?

Knock off wire wheels 2-300$ a piece for good ones. Usually you can find a whole parts car for 3-600$.

Latest posts

Back