Caddy engine

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TIMOTHALE

We have a 472 caddy and trans shifted in reverse to run the 4 ft blade on the sawmill. We haven't cut any logs in about 10 years, My son has found a potential buyer and he wants to keep the big caddy for a rat rod . Right now the mill is about 300 miles south. one potential problem is the length of the trans in a short rod chassis ; I have read that 4 x4 parts can be used to shorten the trans but it's been over 50 years since my auto trans college class. and would rather not tear it apart. would other Gm trans work . We have a Pontiac trans the guy said had just been rebuilt, My son was helping the wrecking yard crush cars and he saved the trans ? ?
lots of old tin to find parts

Attachments

• old tin.jpg
    old tin.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 45
You might be worrying prematurely. How long of a wheelbase will you have and how long of a tailshaft is on that transmission? You probably will still need a driveshaft so the three or four inches extra on the tailshaft is not worth worrying about.
There are plenty of GM guys on here that can tell you if a Pontiac trans will fit on that big Caddy.
Good luck.

I wouldn't worry about the length.

For example: I had an '85 GMC Jimmy for many years - full size - 4WD - wheelbase 106". It had a 700R4 automatic... add the transfer case and then the tailshaft, the total length had to be more than the Caddy trans you have.

Yes, the driveshaft was shorter than "average" but not a problem.

The Caddy has the BPO bolt pattern. I have the 200 4 r behind my 500 Caddy. Lower first gear and has OD. These can be beefed up they were in the Buick GN

Latest posts

Back