truck build/axle choice/power needed questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
I'm going to post this in here because it kinda covers a few topics and didn't seem to fit in any one thread. A while back I got a 52 Chevy COE, then sold it and now own it again (it never actually moved from my yard). I have since sold the ramp truck I was going to use for a body so now it's a new direction. I would like to make it 4x4 with a shorter flat bed. Oh and use 46x20" military michelins with bead locks so it looks like a Unimog.
Here's my dilema:
-I have a set of dana 60 front and 14B chevy rear I can use with 4.56:1 gears

OR

-I also have a set of 5 ton rockwells that have 6.43:1 gears.

Will the rockwells be too heavy if the truck is powered by a cadillac 500?

Will the 1 ton axles be too light for the big 46" military tires and rims?

thanks in advance [P

A friend of mine has Rockwell's in his 1 ton dually with a TBI 350 and it does great up to 48 miles an hour :eek:
I myself would go with the Dana and 14B

Yeah I did check the ratio at 60 and 70 and both are right in the fat part of the torque curve with the 6.43 gears and the 46" tire. The 4.56 might be a dog with that tall of a tire but I could swap to a 5.13 in the 1 ton set (just more $$) I guess I'm more worried about the rockwells being 1200 combined pounds heavier than the 1 ton set OR wiping out bearings and breaking parts on 1 ton set with the bigger tires.[S

It sounds like the 1 ton axles would be the way to go. the Dana 60 is a rugged set up. and you would get a little more mph out of them and they way less and would also give a better ride being less unsprung weight.

You need big tools to work on military (or firetruck) stuff. EVERYTHING IS SO HEAVY.

The rotational mass of the big heavy brake drums and wheels sucks a lot of horsepower.

I'd stop at 1 tons unless it is a trailer queen (and you have something BIG to tow it.

Actually it would be used more on road than off. Tow my trailer pick up steel etc. [P

I would also say it depends on how you want to use it. Personally I'd go with the 60 and 14 bolt. They can handle the humvee tires ok unless you plan on a blown big block and serios thrashing. Also, just my taste but I think it would look great with a 9 foot stock pickup box from the same vintage of one ton pickup and make the running boards fit, like it was factory.
Like this bed.

http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/evans_jeff_1951.html

I think I am going to go with the 1 ton set. The rockwells are just too heavy and I don't want to try to fit the 855ci Cummins under the sheet metal. I did find some military 36" narrow tires that I could mount on the bud wheels from the axles...[P

Latest posts

Back