Article on the dangers of Welding fumes...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know there had to be issues associated with This type of work.
“We found that chronic exposure to manganese-containing welding fumes is associated with progressive neurological symptoms such as slow movement and difficulty speaking,” said Brad A. Racette, MD, a professor of neurology and the study’s senior author. “The more exposure you have to welding fumes, the more quickly those symptoms progress over time.”

And we always thought they were just paying attention when the boss said, "Slow down a little, and shut up, and your welding will improve." :D[ddd How can we not trust a doctor named, "Race-it".

My Dad sent me the same info today. I don't know for sure, but I am thinking ARC welding is worse than MiG, but the article never says. It does say ship yards and heavy equipment manufacturing. Both use the ARC welding more than wire. In the summer the shop is wide open, but I know I breath more junk in the winter.

I pity the ones that die at 110 yrs old and have never built anything cool or did something stupid.... yah , I`ve noticed my mouth doesn`t always produce the sounds my brain thinks...[S oh ,well.... :p

I got my dailey dose after six hours of welding today.
My dad was a welder for 60 years and died of complications from Parkinsons.
I can't help thinking about that but I just keep on welding and keep on living life like I've got good sense. Something is going to kill all of us at some point.
Ain't nobody gonna get out of this deal alive. [;)[;):eek::eek:[;)[;)

yah , I`ve noticed my mouth doesn`t always produce the sounds my brain thinks...[S oh ,well.... :p

My mind must be getting slow as well Dutch. I think something, then my mouth says it. A minute later my mind says I shouldn't say it but by then it is already out![cl

Got my new Miller 211 autoset a couple of months ago. I was telling my Doc about it and he said I shouldn't be breathing the fumes because I have COPD and had a third of my right lung removed. Guess i'll have to get someone to finish welding my stuff for me. Then sell my new welder:(

Got my new Miller 211 autoset a couple of months ago. I was telling my Doc about it and he said I shouldn't be breathing the fumes because I have COPD and had a third of my right lung removed. Guess i'll have to get someone to finish welding my stuff for me. Then sell my new welder:(
There are good respirators on the market that will keep your lungs happy. I used to work in a shop that made gates and portable corrals out of galvanized tubing. Dumb, I know. But they were very popular. Anyway, the boss finally took my word for it that it was going to poison him if he kept it up and he got himself a respirator. I was just supposed hold my breath if I was close while he was welding. :mad: He didn't die, and I only stuck around long enough to learn how a meg worked.

Not sure if that helps or not. :D

I live every day as if it were my last. I did quit drinking but still smoke 3 packs of cigarettes a day for the last 25 years. If that combined with painting and chemical cleaners all these years hasnt killed me yet im not too worried about welding.

Latest posts

Back