A lesson to us all....or me anyway.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

I'm going to a memorial service this afternoon. A buddy of mine passed away on New Years Eve a couple of weeks ago. He'd been working on his life long dream, a 55 Chev. He never did get it finished.

The lesson I take from this? Even though the build is the part I enjoy, I intend to get my butt in gear and finish my Graham as soon as possible.

You never know what kind of cards you may be dealt, so live today to the fullest.

Rest in peace buddy........

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. :(

I often wonder if I'll live long enough to finish all my projects, automotive and otherwise. I say that jokingly but you're right, I need to "get the lead out" and finish some.

Sorry again for your loss and try to keep your head up. (Love your Graham by the way.) [cl

Sorry for the lost of a friend. Yep, we all go. I decided that a long time ago - no projects that are on going for ten years before they see the road. I try to put everything back together for the driving season even if I have to take it back apart the next winter. Rat rods are perfect for me.

sorry to hear of your loss.
and i agree about long drawn out projects.
there is no way i would take on even a 5 year one.
i hate waiting
heck,
i dont even buy green bananas!

I too am sorry to hear about your friend.
Today I decided to trade off my 65 GTO to fund three other project so I can get them done before I pass.

Sorry for your loss. Back about 2 1/2 years ago I died for an hour. The paramedics were going to call it after the tenth round with the paddles but they hit me two more times and here we are.

I have decided my junk can only be down for two weeks then it has to be drivable again. It's a lofty goal and this winter I'm not meeting it but the list will be done on the 46 by April.

If someone would have told me when I was a senior in high school (and made me understand) your gonna die and it may sooner than you think. I would have done some things differently. No more projects that aren't drivers.

I enjoy the fab but no more welding with the pacemaker so smokey burn outs will just have to do. I could go on for ever but I'll shut up. Dudes it's time to party.

Don

My condolences for your loss. That hits close to home for me. Lost my Pop last year at 91. While I know I was extremely lucky to have had him in my life for so long, one of his statements to me in one of those quiet times while he was still doing good always haunts me. He told me one time that all his friends were gone and it was pretty sad for him. People his age were leaving ahead of him and it left him sorta empty ya know...
I've taken that to heart and try like hell to make the days count because of it.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss, I've been there a few time. Never gets less painful, but easier to accept as part of the big picture.

A few years back I lost a friend to Non-Hodgekins. We got together for a last Boar hunt. He passed a few days after the hunt. Then another of our friends had a heart attack the next week in the parking lot at his job. I am glad I got together with them before they left. Think of them every time I go to a hog roast, smile about the good time, drink a little whiskey in their memory, wipe a tear from the corner of my eye each time.

Gives us a cold slap in the face about our own "expiration dates"

I believe it's fine to waste money. You can always make more money you can not make more time.;)

I work out in my garage every-night...I thrash on every build I do...you never know when the end will be...my wife says enjoy the process...I don't agree at all...I strive to get stuff built and either sold or drive them...life is way too short to do life long builds...I did a Willys CJ2A Jeep...took my 18 months...longest 18 months of my life....couldn't wait to get it done...it is done..time to get going on my next 2 projects...

my smellys old 2 cents

MikeC

I believe it's fine to waste money. You can always make more money you can not make more time.;)

Dude, that's been my line since the 80s when I decided riding my Harley was more important than working full time. One summer (80?) I had a Commander Cody tune as my summer theme "they thru me in jail for having too much fun".

Gives us a cold slap in the face about our own "expiration dates"

Being one that almost checked out early, I find there are a lot of things that are no longer important to me.

I've had my share of medical issues and it has caused me to decide what is important in my life. And building hot rods and drag cars are at the top of my list for spending my free time. I enjoy building more than driving. Don't like to take too long on each build as it can get stale. Always planning the next one while building the current one.
Now that I'm in my 70's the pace is slowing however.

We never know when that last breath is coming. I had a very close friend who stuck by me through my divorce and would listen to my sad stories over and over and he never complained. He was a super nice guy and would literally give you the shirt off his back.

My GF and I took a trip up North and while we were gone he had a massive heart attack and died. I never got to say goodbye to him and that really bothers me.

We just never know what the future holds, so we have to make the most of every day.

Don

Sorry for your loss, but your post will get me going again. I let the FRUSTRATION of a few relatively minor setbacks completely derail my 64 Impala Convertible project. As soon as I get off work, I am going out to the garage, fire up the heaters and make a 4 week punch out list, I am going to knock this sucker out and get it on the road. My goal is to have it for sale by April so I can move on to my hot rod build.

Sorry for your loss.

I'm a young rodder, but I've come to realize you can't own them all. My most recent completed build probably won't be my last, but if it is I'll enjoy making small improvements or changes to the ones I already have and USING THEM, as that's what I find most enjoyable. It's more important to spend time with family and friends, and doing the things I enjoy, than crossing off all the hot rods off my "must-build" list. Especially when I have one I can drive and enjoy.

Ive seen so much sickness and death in the last 5 years that it really made me think. Id been letting vacation days stack up, working sometimes on my own time just to make sure things got done on time. Last year that changed! I used up all but 2 vacation days working on my old Valiant and did a ton of fishing. Went places Ive never been and may never get back to but for those few days I did it. Wasn't always successful but just being out in the middle of nowhere with not another body in sight in a nice trout stream surrounded by limestone cliffs and giant pines is really something. This year brings a cross country move! And more fishing when the stupid frozen stuff on top of the water goes away.

Sorry about the loss of your bud, BillM. I know the feeling very well.

My condolences for your loss. That hits close to home for me. Lost my Pop last year at 91. While I know I was extremely lucky to have had him in my life for so long, one of his statements to me in one of those quiet times while he was still doing good always haunts me. He told me one time that all his friends were gone and it was pretty sad for him. People his age were leaving ahead of him and it left him sorta empty ya know...
I've taken that to heart and try like hell to make the days count because of it.

That's exactly what my Dad is going thru right now. He's 90 and is slowing down more every day. I can get him on some old stories that make my stuff look small. But, like your Dad, all his old running buddies are gone and he's feeling guilty about living so long. I want to get this old Ghia on the road so he can take a ride with me. He's had three Ghias in his lifetime and whenever he sees one, he comments about them. He'll probably tell me that he doesn't want to ride in my hunk of junk but, I'll get him in anyway.

Latest posts

Back