Torque Converter selection help???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Hi all.......I'm in the midst of building a coupe, powered by a 350 chev, tunnel ram 2-4's and 350 TH auto......I bought the drivetrain in another car from an acquaintance at work. He tells me that it has a 4200 rpm stall converter in it, and that it won't be very driveable in a light little ride like I'm building.

Does anyone out there have any thoughts on what sort of torque converter I should be using? I'm just hoping to make this thing relatively driveable.....

Any comments or suggestions are very welcome......

Thanks in advance.

Bill

I have a blown 350 in a T 8ucket with a manual shift Turbo 400. I am running a 3500 stall, it is a little bit too high for everyday driving. For one or two nights a week and some weekend fun it is great.

I would contact a Trans company such as B&M or TCI and ask what size convertor to use for your combination, motor, trans, weight ECT. Take the advice of people who know! 4200 stall is an extremely high # for the street. I think you'll be unhappy with the drivability! Good luck with your new combo...CR

A 4200 rpm stall converter would probably be a "race only" converter but before you buy a new one check the diameter of the converter your aquaintance may not know what he has. If the converter is a large diameter, 11 or 12 inches it may not be 4200 stall. High stall converters are usually small diameter like 10 or 9 inch. Also a lose converter in a light car will act/feel like a lower stall than the same lose converter in a heavy car.

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone! I'll head out and measure the diameter now, so that I'll have a better idea what I'm talking about :)

Unless you are running an ungodly cam even a stock or slightly higher than stock (like a 2800) converter is fine, even in a light bucket. I am running a pretty stock converter in my 23, slightly built 350 Vortec/ 350 TH transmission. It idles fine at lights. My Son Don is running a wicked X303 cam in the sbf in his bucket, with a 2800 stall, and it also sits at lights fine in gear. Neither one lurches going into gear either.

Remember that the more stall the more heat created so you need to keep that in mind too. You wouldn't like that 4200 for long, sell it to some racer.:)

Don

Unless you are running an ungodly cam even a stock or slightly higher than stock (like a 2800) converter is fine,

You wouldn't like that 4200 for long, sell it to some racer.:)

Don

i agree completely...

i have a 350 w/a comp 280 cam and a stock converter and have had no problems with it--if i had a choice i don't know if i'd go any higher than a 2000-2250 stall

remember the cam characteristics are one of the main reasons a stall is used remember this: a small cam=lower stall & a bigger cam=higher stall needed

Hey Bill, these guys have hit it on the head pretty well!

I work for PTC (Performance Torque Converters) and would be glad to get you fixed up...we can build you a converter for your exact setup to the specs of your car..

Thanks again everyone! I measured the diameter today, and it's 10 inches, so I'd say it's in the 4200 stall range......

I have a line on a B & M torqmaster, with about 2100 stall rpm rating - if I'm going to use the tunnel ram, is this going to be too low?

Thanks again, you guys are a great support!

Bill.

Like Don said, it has more to do with how wild your cam is. 2100 should be ok if your cam isn't much wilder than maybe a comp 280. Consider the PTC offer from Chris! I'm running their converter in my truck, works great and they are very knowledgeable and service is great..:D

You need to figure out your cruise RPM too, with the rear gears and tire diameter and keep uour stall speed less thn that or it will always be slipping and building heat at highway speeds.

I would call PTC,give them all the specs of your ride.they are about the best in the business(imo).I've been drag racing 20+ years,PTC is the only one that i deal with on converters.

Latest posts

Back