Straight axle questions.......advice needed.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Good morning everyone.....I'm in need of some advice for my 28 Graham Coupe project. I'm planning to run a straight axle front end, suicide style (home built frame). I picked up a mid 40's Ford 1/2 ton truck straight axle last night. I was hoping to convert it to a single leaf in order to run the suicide style I was looking for.

Does anyone have any advice or photos' on this? Any ideas on wishbones? Hairpins? Can I weld on bat wings in order to control the axle? Should I sell this axle and locate an earlier one with the proper spring mounts?

I open to any and all suggestions..........and thanks so much in advance

Some people on this site have made nifty brackets that bolt to the leaf spring pad holes on the axle in order to mount a spring and radius rods. Hopefully they will lead you the the correct builds.
I have welded spring mounts and bat wings to an axle like yours with no problem.

This is the bracket I made for my suicide set up to bolts onto the spring mount. Help these helps to give you some idea what you can do.

Larry

Attachments

• DSCF0214 (Small).jpg
    DSCF0214 (Small).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 149
Thanks Larry, that picture is very helpful! What sort of setup are you using to control your front axle though? Wishbones? Hairpins? And how did you mount that to the axle......I can't see by the picture.

Thanks again , Bill.

Latest posts

Back