Need help with removing glass from and 36 Ford

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willyD

I have a couple of things that I hope someone might have some advice to give on.

First, the back glass in my 36 Ford truck cab is good so I'd like to save it if possible. The problem is that the seal has pretty much welded itself to the glass and the cab. I have the metal frame out so it's just the rubber or whatever that seal was made of holding it in. Do I just have to try to cut it with a utility knife or what ever I can wedge down in there or is there a better way to get it out?

Second, the windshield is a crank open style and the regulator is frozen. The problem is that there is a steel dash trim piece that covers the regulator. There are screws that hold that trim in that you can only get at with the windshield open which, of coarse is not. Anyone have any advice on how to get this apart without destroying the windshield frame and/or dash trim?

Utility knife, hacksaw blade, and maybe a putty knife to get the rear window out. Cut the gasket if you can, if it's too hard you may have to chip carefully away from the glass. If it has a crack in it somewhere, you might be able to enlarge it to get a hacksaw blade in to saw the gasket.

Above all. work real slow and careful. Even then, you may end up breaking the glass.:( If you do, you can still use it as a pattern.

On the rear window, if the gasket is real hard, you may be able to use a cut off wheel on the old rubber, it is going to smoke and stink a lot.

On the front window, if you can get at any of it spray the linkage with pb blaster and try working it back and forth and tapping on the joints of the linkage with a light hammer same goes for the wind shield hinges.

On the rear window i've had good luck with a linoleum knife large handle and hooked blade very sharp.

For windshield , what kennyD said.

Have fun and good luck

Attachments

• Linoleum-Knife.jpg
    Linoleum-Knife.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2
Cut the rubber on the inside of the truck where it folds over the metal lip, once the glass is out the rubber will pull off the glass.

I got the glass out without breaking it! That was a relief. The linoleum knife idea was a great one by the way. That worked out great.

Still no luck on the windshield though. I have been hitting it with PB as well as I can. It's going to be a pain I think as it is pretty solidly seized and I can get at anything to try to work the joints free.

If you can get the top of the windshield loose, you might be able to tip it out enough to get at the dash cap screws. I think it is similar to my 38. Another option is to slice the arms that go from the pivot to the bottom of the windshield off in the middle. This may require slicing a slot in the top of the dash cap. both are easy enough to repair. I have been squirting WD40 on my 38 mechanism for a couple years to no avail. The 39 is pot metal, and was totally melted into a blob by the time I got the cab. I will be going with a non-moving windshield if I ever get back to working on the beast. :mad:

The absolute best penetrating oil I've ever found is bought at a Case IH tractor dealership.

B505501 CNH Industrial Strength Rust Penetrant $4.19
I've tried most all of the off the shelf and homemade stuff, this is by far #1 on the top of my list.

Latest posts

Back