paint question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if rustoleum doesnt have the color blue i want ---
can i mix two of their colors like regular paint?

I think color is color as long as you stay with the same type of paint! Mix a small amt first though and measure the proportions well before mixing up a big batch.

Toad

ok - and i DONT think i can do this but ill ask ---
can i mix a little gloss blue to flat white and still have
more or less a "flat" color?

I'm pretty sure you can. When I worked for Meyers in the paint dept, I mixed up some odd ball concoctions at the customers request. I do know if you want a whiter white, you add some black to it. With mixing the gloss and flat, you might come out with a satin, or a semi gloss. But....Mix like paint with like paint. Seems like with some of these new paint mixing computers, almost anything is possible.

I use rustoleum all the time on sculptures I do and you can mix enamel to achieve whatever color you want. The flat and gloss will be fine, it would take a lot of the gloss to overcome the flat, but mixed they do have a nice look. If you are wanting a powder blue I would just add SMALL amts of blue with a stir stick until you get the colr you want. I would not mix it into a grey and if any black is added it would be a VERY small amt.

i would make a big patch first then tint from there. start with the white and add the blue little parts at a time. grey will work it wont be as stong as black, but if you do add black add drops at a time a few drops will change a color pretty dramaticly

sherwin williams

Not to try to get you off track on the Rustoleum. But sherwin williams paint stores (non automotive) will have the exact color you want,to the TEEEEEE !!! I know when I went there and looked for a color for mine,in there industrial line they must have had 5 to 600 different colors,that are comparable with the same properties as Rustoleum. I plan on using a blue similar to the color they used on early 60's VW's or maybe just a shade lighter than comes on the USAF vehicles of today. They can mix flat or a low satin. Check it out !!!

just goin on the description of color you want, it sounds like you're after "petty" blue.... and theres no reason you can't mix rustoleum colors to get what your after. thats how they make different tints...

just goin on the description of color you want, it sounds like you're after "petty" blue.... and theres no reason you can't mix rustoleum colors to get what your after. thats how they make different tints...

yea thats pretty much the color im going for -- a little lighter -- and flat or satin

Ahh, I just remembered. Back in the day I painted my 58 Chevy truck a nice medium blue. I used the famous Globemaster rattle cans. It turned out great. A week went by and the paint turned to a really cool powder blue. Literally. Lean up against it and your clothes were powder blue also! I got tired of rubbing the the truck out and just left it the powder blue it wanted to be.

I know this is an old thread but what is the exact type of sherwin williams paint?? I love the rustoleum colors but i cant find a flat one??

I am assuming by the thread responses that

I know this is an old thread but what is the exact type of sherwin williams paint?? I love the rustoleum colors but i cant find a flat one??

It probably an oil base exterior or "professional" grade paint made for metal siding and such....jmho....of course....I'd google sherwin williams and see what type of industrial paints they have....

Late $0.02

I have mixed Rustoleum colors before with no problem, they have flats and gloss available, if you want you can get white and black in flats and flatten almost any color, i used a measuring cup when I did my truck, turne out nice, I just need to figure out how to keep it from oxidizing, I guess wash n wax would help lol.[S

Latest posts

Back