Tool of choice to chop a top

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busteddrum

I have looked through the build threads and it looks like most people use an angle grinder with a thin parting blade to cut the sheet metal when chopping. Given that there are jig saws, sawzalls, plasma torches, shears, nibblers, etc. what tool gives the best approach to cutting the sections of sheet metal?

Rob

Last edited:
Hacksaw for cutting the pillars and doors.
Reciprocating saw for flat sheetmetal cuts.
Thin kerf cut off on a angle grinder for anything not requiring exactness.

I used a thin cutoff wheel in my 4 1/2" grinder and a metal cutting blade in my cheap Ryobi cordless sawsall The only real problem was the metal cutting blades were not long enough and would retract too far then bend when hitting the otherside of the pillars.

I don't like tape for curved areas as they are usually compound and therefore the tape goes uphill or downhill when rounding the bend. I made a marking device that holds a permanent marker and rolls on my garage floor.

I used an angle grinder with a thin blade . An air body saw is great but blades are hard to find around here. Sawsall on the double panels

Latest posts

Back