Metal Flake?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rex1927

I have a binks model 7 spray gun with a 36 nozzle and a 36SD mixing tip.
Will this spray bass boat metalflake size 025?
My cousin put down beautiful metalflake job on his T bucket with this gun in 1984.
He thinks they were bass boat flakes,but cannot remember flake size.
Any way to tell what size nozzle a 36 is?
How about the 36SD mixing tip?
If this combo won`t spray 025 flake,what is biggest it will spray?
Any ideas?
I want to flake some parts using big bass boat type flakes if this gun will do it.
Thanks

I was watching an episode of musclecar on spike this weekend and they were doing an old school flake job on their altered ego project.He was using something called a flake buster to spray large flakes.I can't say i've ever heard or seen one before,mind you i'm not a custom painter.Looked really neat and fairly simple to use.

Yep,A flake buster lays them on top of wet paint.
My cousin wants to shoot them in clear over base color like he did years ago.He just mixed up clear and flakes,tossed in a couple lug nuts and shook and sprayed until he liked it.I remember that much.
He just cannot remember size of flakes.
He thinks they were for bass boat, which is 025,I think.[S
I need to find out what size a Binks 36 nozzle is,but no luck on Google.

I just double checked on the Binks web site and they say that the 36 is a 70 size orifice and they only list one size bigger and that is a 38 which shows an orifice size of 86. I used to shoot a lot of the biggest flake that you can get, and I had no problems using a good production gun like the model 7. Mine was a Sharpe, I now use a model 7 copy. The flake buster is available from TCPglobal and on Ebay, but I'm not convinced that it's the way to go......
I always shot a base color the same color as the flake, I only used silver or gold flake and then used candy paint for color and it produced that deep bass boat look.

For a Binks Model 7, 36 indicates the nozzle/needle size of your gun. A 36 size is 0.07" diameter, or 1.8mm. this would be the minimum size needed for 025 (0.025") flake.

Thanks

Thanks guys.
Thats just the information I needed .
Our plans are to use silver flakes over silver base.
Had not thought of candy over it.I bet it does look sharp.
Think I might try it.Maybe a purple or green candy.
I will be glad when spring gets here,I have got a lot of fun things to do.
It won`t be long now.
It is always sunny and short sleeve weather by the Run To Sun car show and it`s 3rd weekend of march.
Thanks again guys.

Hey Rex, some suggestions if you do the candy. You may already know this, but what works the best for me is to spray enough clear laquer(5 to 10 coats) to be able to sand the flake smooth, then add the color, and then I clear it with urethane of your choice. I like PPG DAU 75, it's harder than the hobbs of hell when cured.

Have fun and Good luck

Check e-bay and buy your self a 2.5 tip HVLP gun.

I use it for primer or flake and have had no problem with flake.

You'll need to remove the screen going into the gun from the cup.

lungs

I've never shot true metal flake, but have shot metallic paint. I used glass marbles in the cup to keep the flakes suspended.

Binks 7

Used to shoot it all the time with a Binks 7 with a couple of large nuts in the cup. My experience when I would sanding the flake coats down would reduce the impact and depth so would build clear up over it first.

Latest posts

Back