Windows

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R_CK_R

Hi guys,

I got a little question: where do you buy windows for your car?
is there any shop where I can order windshields and normal windows or do I have to let them be custom made?

greetings Kai

Any glass shop can do the flat safety glass. Not a automotive glass shop, they just install the stuff.

okay, installing I can do by myself :)
but where can I get a new windshield? I think that's a little bit problematic 'cause of the windshield's curve...

Is it chopped?

Try Bob's Classic Auto Glass in the vintage parts section of ebay he has lots of old stuff listed. Don't know if shipping across the pond will be cost effective. If the top is chopped, expect to bust a couple curved windshields before you get one cut right...Took me three tries on my brother's chopped S10 (and still had a small run in one of the corners). I have cut a good bit of flat laminated glass with no problems, but cutting curved glass is voodoo.

Glass cuts

For a first timer....not recommended, personally. To take on a curved window is difficult at best and IF the supply of curved correct fitting windshields are at a premium....not so sure I'd attempt it????
If you adamant about the chop, then persistence will get you to the end point.
later

It can be a bit frustrating, it took me 7 to get one for this thing at $50 to$100 piece plus cut time.
I've heard that a way to go is have it cut and fit the body to glass instead of the other way around [S
Good luck, remember chops are worth the pita. [P

Attachments

• PU 006.jpg
    PU 006.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 21
Have seen some guys recomending taping the cut line then using a sandblaster at low pressure on the curved glass...

Yep, metal bends easier than glass. ;)

There are several different ways people have cut curved glass, but they all seem to have the same breakage rate. The fastest is still the tried and true glass cutter - at least you won't have hours wrapped up in it when it breaks.

Well I can do a lot with this little tool , you can find them in other places half that price that E-place for one ..
I have used it to polish windshields , over time out west here they tent to get sand pitted , it will grind down safety glass .. that heart is obsidian "volcanic glass" it took around 14 hours to carve that from a little larger chunk using only the water grinder ....

The alien has imperfections in the glass, stress marks during cooling but you can seen they are both polished and cut down and carved up ..

That tool made both of those and more, you can use a real course wheel and it will eat the plastic sheet in safety glass

http://www.kingsleynorth.com/skshop/product.php?id=87634&catID=93

Attachments

• 100_0248 (800x600).jpg
    100_0248 (800x600).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_0256 (600x800).jpg
    100_0256 (600x800).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_0245 (800x600).jpg
    100_0245 (800x600).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_0246 (800x600).jpg