Outside the "box" grill idea

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffee Freak

I always like to use what I have and build something instead of buying something IF I can make it cool enough. That's a BIG if.......

I wanted some thoughts on a hair-brain idea I got in looking at some stuff that came with my M38a1 tub for my build.

The M38a1 has a built in toolbox that's located under the passenger seat. I'll be removing this box to get the seats to sit as low as possible. That being said, I found two toolbox lids with the tub that are pretty much unusable for even the most devout military restorer. Here is a picture of them side by side:

toolboxlidgrill.jpg

Which got me thingking about a grill...... what if I either use a hole saw or a jig saw and cut out openings in between the ribs and weld the two lids together in this manner to create a grill for my rat rod? I have some mesh that could go behind it to looks a bit like this (pardon my lousy photoshop skills):

grill_idea.jpg

I have some aluminum trim leftover from when I used to sell replacement windows that I could add to make it more "box-like" and functional if needed.

What are the thoughts? Again, this is just photoshopped so far, I haven't make the first weld or cut yet.

I like the idea, but not too sure about rectangular holes. Maybe more rounded corners? I'd suggest just using a hole saw and putting bunches of 1-1/2"-2" holes in them, but that likely restrict airflow too much.

Well

What about side by side to make it wider and shorter[S and seven vertical slots is the traditional jeep grill [P
And i have no photoshop skills at all so you ahead of me [cl
Just some thoughts [;)

Attachments

• Build 038a.jpg
    Build 038a.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 11
Maybe a little bit of both? Keep the long slots, but round the ends.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 8
Maybe a little bit of both? Keep the long slots, but round the ends.

I like that!

As far as putting them horizontal, I don't think I could and have it look right. The rad would be WAY taller than the grill. With them stacked the way they are, it's in scale with an early Ford grill. I want a narrow nose to give it the roadster look.

Latest posts

Back