Looking for a decent paint sprayer

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howiess2000

Any suggestions for a decent paint sprayer for a beginner??

I'll pass on the $15 Harbor Freight sprayer, but I don't think I need a $400 gun.
Can I buy anything $50-$100.

Thanks in advance.

I'm using a $35 discount tool no name special. Painted a couple of cars with it with good success. If you want a known brand name, Devilibis has a entry level gun that is pretty good from what I read about it. Oftentimes you can find the two gun kit on eBay for less than $100. I prefer the old style siphon guns, I've never had much luck with the gravity feed ones, they seem to leak when you tilt them. Might have just been the el cheapo model I had, but I still prefer the old style guns. Seem like they are easier to balance with the weight on the bottom instead of the top...

Any suggestions for a decent paint sprayer for a beginner??

I'll pass on the $15 Harbor Freight sprayer, but I don't think I need a $400 gun.
Can I buy anything $50-$100.

Thanks in advance.

I've used that $15 Harbor freight gun, it's great for shooting Rustoleum flats.... but it is hard to adjust, so you get what you pay for.

I also used one of the HF two gun sets about $89 but $39 with a super coupon i got in the mail, a lot more flexibility, I've painted 3 cars and 2 trucks and I've been happy with it.

My uncle is a professional painter, the HF stuff can't touch his, but he payed $1400 for his if I recall, but it's like Picasso is at the brush.

Are you looking for a HVLP or a canister type? I've used both and I really love my HVLP! :D

Husky's Gun is okay, Ingersoll Rand have good product and their reviews on their entry level guns are good and Titan has I believe a 2 or 3 gun set for under $200, and my buddy loves his set up he got from them.

Hope this helps, let us know which way you go and how it works for you!

We've got a couple of Finish Line guns that are pretty good, mid $100 range. But I usually reach for the $15 HF gun. I've painted tons of stuff with them and they really aren't horrible. At the end of a long night , if you are tired, you just toss it in the garbage so you don't have to clean it. They are cheap enough to do that.

Are they as good as a $ 400 gun ? No, but they aren't bad for what they are.

Don

Been painting corporate aircraft for 30 years. When it comes to paint guns, you get what you pay for. At work its Binks, Sata, and Develbiss HVLP or electrostatic.[;) That being said, my gun of choice for home projects- Harbor Freight. They work pretty good and they are basically disposable.

You can go to your local paint supplier and get a knock off of a Develbis or others for around $80 also. The HF are not bad. I think some folks think they have to disassemble a gun and clean it after using it. That will make things worse. When you are done, rinse the paint out of it,and shoot lacquer thinner thru it until its clear and leave what's left in the gun. Leave it alone until next time.

I bought a "Leonardo" online for about $125. My local paint shop had it for a bit more. (I never knew) It's HVLP and it's all a back yarder will ever need. I also have a Tiwan Binks 7 and it's a better gun than my buddy's Binks 7. Parts interchange too. Cool that.

I bought a "Leonardo" online for about $125. My local paint shop had it for a bit more. (I never knew) It's HVLP and it's all a back yarder will ever need. I also have a Tiwan Binks 7 and it's a better gun than my buddy's Binks 7. Parts interchange too. Cool that.
painted this car yrs ago with the KO Binks. Granted it was sanded and buffed, but it should alwas get a sanding and buffing.

Attachments

• 66 Charger for E-Bay 015.jpg
    66 Charger for E-Bay 015.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 8
I have to go with the HF gang but I don't paint fancy stuff, if it turns out bad I assume it's operator error. I agree with not over cleaning, I clean out the pot and chamber but leave it dry, seems to work for me. As Don said if they go bad toss it and get another, I watch for sales and keep a couple on hand. Example, 4" side grinder $10, I tend to drop stuff and the $50 one's don't hold up any better. There, that's my $.02 worth. [S
Have a good "new year" and don't be stupid please.

I have to go with the HF gang but I don't paint fancy stuff, if it turns out bad I assume it's operator error. I agree with not over cleaning, I clean out the pot and chamber but leave it dry, seems to work for me. As Don said if they go bad toss it and get another, I watch for sales and keep a couple on hand. Example, 4" side grinder $10, I tend to drop stuff and the $50 one's don't hold up any better. There, that's my $.02 worth. [S
Have a good "new year" and don't be stupid please.

I like the way you think! I have to say I wasn't too upset when I dropped my HF gun and it sprayed paint all over the place... then pulled the trigger and it did nothing, I just grabbed the other off the shelf and kept painting! I will say you can';t beat their little touch up gun, I reprayed the front of my daily driver and my buddies thought I took it to a paint shop... LOL

Latest posts

Back