No Title No Problem in Pennsylvania

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aFordit

If your vehicle body style is pre 48 and you don't have a title there is no need to buy one. Read the rules for street rods, Steffy Garage Inc. located in Leola, Pa. It's is a good web source. Collect and save all receipts for purchases that were necessary for the build (major components), if possible. Now take several pictures of your vehicle and proceed to an Enhanced Inspection Station in your area. I went to 4 stations. Two were not interested in doing the work, one was willing, but didn't really know all the rules and the fourth did several street rods a year. Finding the correct station is very important. Have the inspector look at your pictures and make suggestions so it will pass the first time. Gas tank placement and exhaust covering is ultra important. Now head home and find the VIN number off the cowl or ? Next call your insurance company and get insurance for this vehicle. Take the insurance card, a full typed page description of the work you did to construct the vehicle, and your receipts to the inspection station. They will inspect your car or truck, copy necessary receipts and fill out all the paperwork! Now visit a Notary and hand them the paper work. Tell them you don't have a title, but you are applying for a Street Rod title. They will bill you for a new title, new VIN tag, registration card and plate, plus figure out the state tax on items that you purchased tax free. After they take your money they may also say this probably won't work, because you don't have a Title! Have them send it to Harrisburg anyway. Six weeks later, with a little luck and a good enhanced inspection person, you will receive a new title, new VIN number, registration card, and SR license plate. Call your insurance person and state your vehicle is now registered as a street rod and give them the new VIN number. Put the new VIN number and plate on your vehicle and proceed to the same inspection station for one more inspection to receive your windshield inspection sticker. This is a legal way to license your Rat Rod. I also think it's cheaper than buying a title, which will only be replaced with a new one anyway, if you go this route.

Pa. title ?

Hi -- My name is Rich from Pgh. Pa. and I am gathering parts for my build. I have been paying cash and I know that is a no no because I need the sales tax history. This is going to be an on going headake. I though of making a phoney sale of misc. parts from a made up seller to me and paying the sales tax at a notery if that is possible. I have made a list of inhanced inspections stations close to me but I have not contacted any of them as yet. If anyone knows a good one around Pgh. Pa. let me know.

gas tank placement

What are the requirements for a gas tank placement in PA?
I have the gas tank where the rear seat would have been on my 28 Tudor A.
right now it is open to the interior.. do I need to fire wall it off?

The best way to proceed is to download a copy of the state rules for building cars. Or at least find it and bookmark it so you have it at hand. Then read it a few times. Bear in mind, though, that the person at the DMV may still read it differently. Be nice to them.

Good luck.

The best way to proceed is to download a copy of the state rules for building cars. Or at least find it and bookmark it so you have it at hand. Then read it a few times. Bear in mind, though, that the person at the DMV may still read it differently. Be nice to them.

Good luck.

Be VERY nice ... yes mam ..no sir ... Here in NORTHERN Michigan it is very easy compared to Maryland where I moved from .. and I tell them what a pleasure it is every time I goo in there looking for a title.... I do not even wispier f-off o the way out it is so good ...

Latest posts

Back