Ford inner panel question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago I had the rear doors off of what I believed to have been a 26 or 27 Ford touring car. They had inner panels. But maybe it wasn't Ford at all - I just always though it was. (The rest of the rear section is still there at my folks place. That is all I ever had of it - found it in a junk pile in a shale pit in western Oklahoma.)

Let me reiterate
I looked at what is supposed to be a 30 Ford Model A 4 door
I was surprised to see that it has an inner wooden structure.

Only the Model A Fordor Sedans had wooden structure inside the doors. They were still being built by Briggs and Murray and were very different from the regular Ford bodies (Coupe, Tudor, Truck, etc.). So yes, it was very likely you were looking at a Fordor door.

Door inside wood went away by 29 I think, but cowl, top rear quarter and more stayed at least thru 31. 34, still have wood on some spots (around rear window, door pillar) but got rid of cowl, and body mounting blocks.
This is by memory, correct me if'n ya want.

ALL MODEL A FORDOR SEDANS FROM '28-'31 HAD WOOD IN THE DOORS - Yes like a Chevy!

Model A Fordor bodies were produced in a coachbuilt style by two different companies - Murray and Briggs. Those bodies were then placed on Ford chassis & running gear and sold as such. LIKE I SAID BEFORE - They are completely different from the FoMoCo produced Tudor Sedan, Coupe and Truck bodies, which all had steel-framed doors. That is where your wooden Model A door came from!

THESE MODEL A FORDOR SEDANS HAVE COMPLETE WOODEN DOOR STRUCTURE WITH SHEETMETAL NAILED TO IT. That is why I directed you to my first post.

The ONLY Model A Fordor Sedan with steel structure in the doors is the "Slant Windshield" model produced in late 1931.

This is a Murray-bodied 1929 Fordor - Also notice how the beltline, window openings, etc. vary greatly from Ford produced bodies.

images

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back