How do I wire an LT/LS engine into my next rat project?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankthebigdog

Ok fellas, this has probably been asked, but I missed it. Where do I get the "wiring the LT/LS for idiots" info. {notice I didn't say dummies because I am lower on totem pole than that when it comes to wiring}
I have been given a 2004 Avalanche with good motor and trans IF I put it in a rat. Now comes the fun......I read a few articles and watched a you tube video or three. I ain't getting the same stuff it don't seem. Is there a simple, ok super simple way to make it work for a DIY greenhorn like myself that is color blind. Please help if you can. send me in the right direction and I will try to educate myself then let everyone know how it went. Maybe we end up with hot rod, maybe we get a boat anchor. Thanks in advance. Just remember, I ain't a wire guru and all this new stuff don't register in my parts knowledge[ ???sensor, ??sensor, Alphabet soup plugs?, etc }

Last edited:
I ended up sending my harness and computer to Gravel Road Custom Tuning in Lake City Arkansas.

Britton Tiner
510 CR 688
Lake City, AR 72437

It will come back plug and play for less than $450
With a wire harness rework and a performance tune on the computer.

On the Nova I swapped the LT1 EFI for a carb! On the Chevelle's LS3 I went carb also & used a MSD spark box although i used a aftermarket harness that was expensive at the time (8 yrs ago)!

Also, I put a EFI LS1 in my panel truck. As a theft deterrent, if you didn't have the computer chip key, it would restart 25 times but after that, it would cut the gas off immediately upon restart. I had to send the computer off to have it reflashed to eliminate that feature! That cost a couple hundred $$$!

BoB

If you have the complete vehicle it should be very simple. The wiring harness is so short on these that they barely reach the sensors...can't really hook it up wrong because it won't reach.

Lt1 is the site I used and decided after the fourth day to heck with it and sent it off to have it done.

THAT BAD huh?
What makes it so difficult? Poor instructions? Don't make sense? Educate me before I get in over my head. Funds just aint there to sink into it right now for a harness and a flash job.

I went thru the rework and done everything listed on the site.
I just wasn't sure that it really was correct.
I guess you can say I wimped out :eek:
I'm gonna ask Britton if I was even close to right, when he sends it back [P
As far as the $$$ goes, I would rather do what I do to make the money to pay the guy to do what he does, it's just easier :cool:

I do all of my own harnesses. Easiest way is to plug it all into the engine, remove the outer sheath and start eliminating the circuit you don't need. Have a schematic handy to double check. After it is thinned out then I place the PCM where I want it and start re routing the rest of the harness to be cleaner or out of the way.

I have put this on the back burner for a bit. I have to erect a new shop for storage and space. Low funds, scraping and collecting stuff. I am going to do more reading on it and , as Nike says....."Just Do it...." I guess. If all fails, buy one.

Latest posts

Back