license plates

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowbudget50

Creators of all things awesome
I came a cross a box of old washington plates today. 39-56, some truck but mostly car. Alot of them are pairs (front and back ). Can anyone give me an idea on what there worth? Also if anyone from washington state is interested in any let me know. Thanks guys

Not sure about down there, but up here prices vary wildly... Anywhere from $20-40 per plate (typical) up to $120+ per plate. A guy was advertising plates on Facebook so I was in contact with him about a 1928 Alberta plate. He has two rusty ones. One he wants $100 for, the other $120 (in worse shape). I am not paying that... Yours look good, but I'm not sure if your vintage plate market is like ours.

I'm interested. Which ones do you have pairs of? I have a friend with 40s trucks in Wa.
I'm not sure on Wa. values. Pairs are always worth about 4 times what a single is in states that allow you to use them. It's all about condition. Typically singles in the shape yours look to be in might range $10-$25 each for my state.
PM me and I'll give you my email so you can send me pictures of them all and I can send them on to my friend. Most of his stuff is 30s and 40s

Thanks guys, i pay $75 for my good single for my 50. Ive seen them for round 250 for a pair, bit wasnt sure if that was crazy or not. Willowbilly ill pm sent

Thanks guys, i pay $75 for my good single for my 50. Ive seen them for round 250 for a pair, bit wasnt sure if that was crazy or not. Willowbilly ill pm sent

$250 is nuts to me...

I think my '46 single which had never been screwed to a vehicle was $50. A rare find, for sure. If I was paying more than $80 it better be like new.

MT plates seem to go from 30 to 60 for singles and 50-125 for pairs. It really depends on condition and also on the year. Some years are much hard to find for some reason.

Its always the year tournlookin for thats hard to find! I wont want that out of them, most of them are in really good shape. Ill get better pics as soon as i can

I gave $35 for a pair of really good 1934 Missouri plates at the swap meet this spring.
I gave $10 for a pair of good 1940 Missouri tags, a couple years ago, for my 40 Pontiac.
Usually $50 to $60 a pair for real good ones around here.

Trying to research them and make any sense out of the prices, Some 60s plates bring more than ones from the teens. As a collector, I do know there are nuances that make some series much rarer than others. Wartime stuff for instance or like the 43 wyoming split date with the cowboys head splitting the date, came both ways but the split dates are less than 10% of the year run. Not being familiar with Washinton, I don't have that knowledge on them. In SD many of the 30s and 40s plates are worth way more than the ones from the 20s and later teens.

I paid $50 for a surface rusty plate with a few nail holes in it only because it's the proper year and county prefix number. I paid $20 on eBay for the other 47 tag I have with the wrong county prefix number, and it's in about the same shape. I could register either one as long as the number sequence isn't already in use, but I just put one on the front and run a vintage vehicle [non expiring] plate on the rear.

Trying to research them and make any sense out of the prices, Some 60s plates bring more than ones from the teens. As a collector, I do know there are nuances that make some series much rarer than others. Wartime stuff for instance or like the 43 wyoming split date with the cowboys head splitting the date, came both ways but the split dates are less than 10% of the year run. Not being familiar with Washinton, I don't have that knowledge on them. In SD many of the 30s and 40s plates are worth way more than the ones from the 20s and later teens.

Thats why i asked. I looked a little and prices for them are all over the place. I guess there just worth what someone will pay

I guess there just worth what someone will pay

That is correct, and generally they don't bring much. Asking and selling are two very different things. My estimate wasn't "giving away", just realistic. I was being honest with prices they actually go for, as both a seller and a buyer. The eBay fisherman or the guy that has been carrying the same crate full of plates to swap meets for the last 10 years are not a accurate gauge of value, nor is the guy who overpaid because he just had to have it then and there.

Compare them to baseball cards. A slight few may bring a little money, but the vast majority are fairly worthless...

Here on the expensive of the cascades, on the OR/WA line, that stack would be gold. I paid about $30 each for single 38 & 39 OR plates that need to be redone. I was happy to get them that cheap! Crazy, but true. :D

I paid $100 for a pair of prime WA 1951 truck plates a while back. The swap meet dealers ask the most here and the year makes a difference. The 28-34, and also the 55-57 with the insert year tabs command a premium. Your pairs should go $75 or more based on condition. Singles are all over on price, those 1942 may be rare.

Latest posts

Back