Downtown Car Shows

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgbrktracer

Want to get your opinions on something that was proposed at our monthly car club meeting last night. We usually have our benefit car show in Cassidy Park every year and since the park was destroyed in the recent floods it has been suggested that the show be held downtown. Two blocks of the downtown business district would be blocked off(No thru traffic) with only cars in show allowed. Local officials have given their approval. This is a benefit we have every year for someone in need, usually Cancer patients. Any/All ideas and opinions welcome.

Two Cities in Chicago's NW Subs that have large Business District shows(500-800 cars) are Mundelein and Wauconda Ill. I've been to both and they are typically well run events. Obvious similarities is support of local Police for traffic control and of course co-operation and participation of the local business.

I don't have contact info for you

F Myers, where I live, used to (maybe still do) hold one night a month car shows downtown. I have gone a few times and they were nice......a lot different from shows held in some parking lot or field. Lots to do, like eating at a restaurant, etc, so not boring like sitting on a lawn chair.

One downside is that a lot of people show up who would not normally go to a car show.........just people walking around downtown. I have seen people touching cars, picking up things off of cars, and being less careful than usual car show visitors might be. You can get a certain element showing up who should not be near nice cars.

But, aside from that, I liked going there and forgot about it till you mentioned it. I will have to check and see if they still do it down here.

Don

….One downside is that a lot of people show up who would not normally go to a car show.........just people walking around downtown. I have seen people touching cars, picking up things off of cars, and being less careful than usual car show visitors might be. You can get a certain element showing up who should not be near nice cars………...
Don

Very good point by Don.

It would be a wise idea to have Club members that are goods PR people i.e.. more "Diplomatic" , in either same color club shirts or wind breakers circulating and educating people on acceptable behavior.

One especially troublesome point can be young permissive parents with Brat offspring ( that's as nice as I can be about it). Better that a club member address disrespectful behavior than an exhibitor.

Last edited:
good deal

There are two towns in my area that do the downtown shows. They have two shows each. One is bike cruzin and show. Other cars, trucks cruzin and shows.

At each they close off downtown. Main intersection on each side of main drag they have music. One side is country and blue grass. Other side is rock. Music is ALMOST non stop from about 3-4 pm until about 12-1 am.

Have a few vendors. Mostly nick nacks. Got food vendors that are unbelievable delicious.

Contest for 50`s style dress and dance.

One big failure. Some dumbass came and set up a photo thing. Photo, comp, print, you bought. He had a very skimply dressed young (18-22) pretty young girl for you to have photo taken with. No other pics would he take. Didn`t last long. No one interested.

One of our local mc donalds holds a show almost every friday night starting in mid may. Its a free deal so ypu get alot of cars that notmaly dont go to the bigger pay to enter shows. The local oldies station is there playin some 50's and 60's tunes. Its always a good time.

There are quit a few in Calif. Temecula, Murreita, Vista, Arro Grande, Escondido [cl
Most have a good time, merchants like it a lot.

This is Temecula this year.

Attachments

• 20160305_121818.jpg
    20160305_121818.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 15
we have a local show every oct. and if i remember we had over 300 car the last show. they close off most of the old down town which has the court house square for a day. great show, wish yall to have a great show.

Shows are okay but I refuse to pay money for someone else to look at my ride.
And I don't like being trapped at the show.
After maybe an hour I am ready to leave.
We don't drink and we find sitting in lawn chairs boring.
So I might drive over for a quick look
But I don't enter my car and I won't be there long.

Latest posts

Back