Things we remember,

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Color bars you hooked up to your car radio or 8 track.

You could get beat by a teacher for misbehaving.

Ha, that's right ! I spent many a class put out in the hall for misbehaving. If the Principal walked by and caught you there it was paddle time. He called it the "board of education". The paddles that really hurt were the ones with lots of holes drilled in the end.:eek:

Don

Sheriff John and the birthday song.

Engineer Bill drinking a glass of milk playing red light, green light.

Bozo the Clown (brother and sister was on that show)

"That's All" by Thee Midnighters was the last song played at school dances.

When gas first hit a dollar a gallon and the old mechanical dial pumps only had two digits for the price per gallon........they had to set the price for a half gallon. You'd fill up while not really paying attention and when you looked you'd think "hey 8$, not bad" and then it would hit you...........man I hope I've got sixteen bucks :eek: Would love to be able to fill up for $16 now :D

The Howdy Doody show!
77 SUNSET STRIP - Kookie, Kookie, lend me your comb!
Davy Crockett
Wanted Dead or Alive
The Donna Reed show
Have Gun, Will Travel
The Lone Ranger
Leave It To Beaver
The Ozzie & Harriet Show
Where The Action is
My Favorite Martian
Happy Days
Laverne & Shirley
Amos & Andy
The Little Rascals
Abbot & Costello
The Cisco Kid
Circus Boy
Mr Peepers
Lost In Space
The Thin Man
Peter Gunn
Sky King
Lassie
Roy Rogers
Topper
Dobie Gillis
Gilligan's Island - I was in love with Mary Ann!
Broken Arrow
Dragnet
Zorro
Rocky & Bullwinkle
The Three Stooges - Still my favorite!

Ok, ok, I was a latch key kid & watched a lot of TV! Now I drink beer & watch TV! :eek:

Beercan

The Hit Parade
Milton Berle
Sid Ceasar and Imgene Coca
Texaco Theater
Dinah Shore
Captain Midnight
Micky Mouse Club
American Bandstand
Lash LaRue
Annie Oakley
Spanky and Our Gang
Little Rascals
You Bet Your Life
Bonanza
Gunsmoke
High Chaparrel (sp?)
Johnny Yuma

rusty, i read a study a few years back that claimed that men with no self image preferred Mary Ann to Ginger because the thought they could get her, and that Ginger was out of their league. If thats true, i dont have any either, cause she was the hottie. What do i know though, I thought Zelda Gilroy was cute.

Nah, Ginger was too high maintenance, Mary Ann was just a sweetheart. We all loved Mary Ann. :D The first crush I had though was on Annette F on the Mickey Mouse Club. All the other girls were girls, but Annette had a couple of things about her I really dug. [ddev

Don

Don, I loved Annette too, but from later on, in the beach movies. Am I the only one who thought The Ratz were cool?

You mean VonZipper? I had the hots for Annette too! I remember a gas war when I was very young. Went to 19¢ a gallon!:eek: My mother stopped buying sugar briefly when the price for a five pound bag rose to an astronomical 59¢!

Candy cigarettes. How PC was that idea ! :rolleyes: Start em off young. :eek:

Bubble gum cigars.......equally good to start em off young.

What were those little wax bottles that came in a 6 pack (I think) and you bit the tops off to get the liquid out of ? I think they were called Nik-L-Nip or something like that.

Wax lips. You would put them on for God knows what reason and they made your lips look real big.

Show and tell at school. It was your chance at 15 minutes of fame, getting up to show your classmates something you were doing or whatever.

Schoolbus monitors. Some kid got picked to stand in the front of the bus and keep law and order and turn that handle to open the door when you got to a stop.

Don

School days and Popeye candy cigarettes. ( My cigarette of choice) We used to like when it got cold enough to see your breath, so it looked ''real''. We were hyperventilating by the time the schoolbell rang.

Once seated, they played the national anthem over the PA system, then the whole class recited the Lord's Prayer. They don't do either anymore. Apparently, it's politically incorrect to promote patriotism and decent values. Who knew?

They used to teach some unthinkable subjects back then, too. Radical stuff like Spelling, Grammar and Math. Way ahead of its time, that's strictly post-graduate criteria these days.

I remember,

- when a cashier or clerk counted back your change. (And didn't need a machine to tell them how much).

- when you had to run to the bank with your paycheck before a long weekend, so you had some money in your pocket. (And the PEOPLE knew your face and name).

- when a gas station was a service station. A place to get what you need for your car. (Not junk food and flavored coffee).

- when a mother stayed at home and RAISED her children. (Also, when it wasn't necessary to have a second income).

- when being older demanded respect. (Because an 18 yr old would pound your mouthy15 yr old face in).

- when you could fix your own car. From end to end. Without a laptop, an electronics degree, a program from NASA, and 5 years as a circus contortionist.

man after reading all this i got a sentimental tear, (old softy for the old days) my grandpa ran a service station when i was a kid! every time i smell that air comin out of a old tire ,it reminds me of him, strange what brings back memories, anyways i remember alot of this either thru reruns or actual memory, A child of the 70's ..one thing we did on our banana seat ape hanger bikes was , gather up front forks from old bikes cut them off and drive them on our bike forks to make chopper! bikes! this was a great read , really made my day , and miss my grandpa,, bitter sweet this life we live!:cool:

For a bunch of old guys, you sure remember a lot! [ddd:p

gather up front forks from old bikes cut them off and drive them on our bike forks to make chopper!

Ha! And break your neck when one came loose. :D Every once in a while I still hear a kid with a card in their spokes.

How about the slam of an old wooden screen door? (I put one on ours when I replaced our front door - my wife doesn't get it)

My Grandpap and Grandmom lived with us and they were a big part of my growing up. He was a first generation from Czechoslovakia and she was Welsh. My Grandmom was a tough little lady but with a heart of gold.

I was a bad kid and played tricks on my Grandpap every day of his life. I thought I was making him mad but my Mom told me years later that he loved me doing that as much as I did. I miss them as much as I do my parents. :(

Don

Latest posts

Back