New truck search amped up!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

Well on Friday my truck that I do all my hauling with caught on fire. I was running a gas chop saw in the facinity of it when I noticed the fire inside it. I had the windows down and listening to the radio so we assumed a spark from the saw started the fire. But after further inspection and some google searches I think it was a electrical issue. Who would of thought a Chrysler would have electrical problems? :rolleyes:

I had planned on buying a new truck but certainly not under these circumstances!

Looks like you got it out quick, but not quick enough!

I've never heard of a Chrysler product with electrical issues either :p

What are you thinking for the new truck now that it's an urgent need?

Looks like you got it out quick, but not quick enough!

I've never heard of a Chrysler product with electrical issues either :p

What are you thinking for the new truck now that it's an urgent need?

Well the original plan was to keep this one and add a heavier duty truck. But now I'm going to just have to get the first decent one ton long bed cummins that I can find in my budget. I met with the adjuster today and he says it's certainly totaled but wasn't sure where the values would fall. I still owe on the truck so they has me a bit nervous on the figures they will come back with. It's a 03, with 300k+. He also claimed they couldn't up the value of the truck due to all the upgrades that I have done to it. Witch I find hard to believe. It has new 50 horse injectors, a edge programmer, Reece rails for hitch in the bed, aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket exhaust brake, a cold air intake with k&n filter, new fly wheel and upgraded clutch, and a flow thru tailgate but he claims that don't add to the value! [S

They are suppose to get the figures to me tomorrow. I'm going to guess that it's going to get ugly before I settle tho. :-/

Sorry to hear that about the truck. Insurance co will probably want to give you the lowest blue book value because of the mileage.

MAN OL MAN.......I hate this for you 21, but if you're luck with
ins co. is like mine......well might as well grab you're ankles and
hang on..................

Well the original plan was to keep this one and add a heavier duty truck. But now I'm going to just have to get the first decent one ton long bed cummins that I can find in my budget. I met with the adjuster today and he says it's certainly totaled but wasn't sure where the values would fall. I still owe on the truck so they has me a bit nervous on the figures they will come back with. It's a 03, with 300k+. He also claimed they couldn't up the value of the truck due to all the upgrades that I have done to it. Witch I find hard to believe. It has new 50 horse injectors, a edge programmer, Reece rails for hitch in the bed, aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket exhaust brake, a cold air intake with k&n filter, new fly wheel and upgraded clutch, and a flow thru tailgate but he claims that don't add to the value! [S

They are suppose to get the figures to me tomorrow. I'm going to guess that it's going to get ugly before I settle tho. :-/

Unfortunately upgrades don't add that much to the resale value most of the time, and so that's probably why the insurance company sees it that way. If you can take anything off and sell it separately I would do that.

Yeah, sadly upgrades seldom add anything to the real value of a truck. You might be best to buy it back so you can retrieve the stuff.
I know you like the cummins but if you get up around 08-09 the Fords pull real good. We had both an 08 Dodge 6.7 and an 09 Ford here back to back. Both single wheel one ton 4x4, the Dodge an automatic and the Ford a 6 speed and the Ford would handily out pull the Dodge.

Yeah, sadly upgrades seldom add anything to the real value of a truck. You might be best to buy it back so you can retrieve the stuff.
I know you like the cummins but if you get up around 08-09 the Fords pull real good. We had both an 08 Dodge 6.7 and an 09 Ford here back to back. Both single wheel one ton 4x4, the Dodge an automatic and the Ford a 6 speed and the Ford would handily out pull the Dodge.

I plan to buy the truck back as long as it's not a crazy buy back price. I've been research the asking prices of the used drivetrain parts and they add up quickly. Plus I would like to buy basically the exact same truck so that I can have all the extra parts off of this one.

The ford vs dodge comparison would have to have the same transmission in them for me to compare them. My friends work truck is a fairly new ford with a auto trans and it's a slouch.

I also like the cummins cause it's what I know. I've owned one or more of them at a time for the last 12 years or so and have put over a millions miles on them.

It wouldn't be fair to compare a Ford and Dodge 6 speed because the Dodge 6 speed is 100 horse less than their automatic for the last few years.
Back in 03, a Ford couldn't touch a Dodge for pulling power but 03 is kind of the last "good" Dodge before they started with the high pressure injection that is uber expensive to work on. I was just saying if you get into the newer stuff, the Ford pulls just as good or better than the Dodge. I've drove my nephews 2012 Ford dually and grossing over 30,000# there isn't many hills it won't cruise up with the cruise control on and never drop a gear. My brother in law has a 2012 Dodge, a 13 Dodge and a 14 Ford. The 2012 Dodge will outpull them all but it took a lot of money and a serious expensive clutch to make it do it. I drove it brand new and it was a dog. The 13 Dodge and 14 Ford are bone stock automatics and the Ford will out pull the Dodge, noticeably.

Your close with saying that the autos had 100 more horsepower but that's not completely correct. In 2013 cummins had three different options in the pickup trucks. The G56 manual trucks engines are rated at 350 hp and 660 lb-ft, the 68RFE automatic transmission was rated at 370 hp and 800 lb-ft. Then the "high output" 385 hp, 850 lb-ft version was also available in the cab and chassis trucks hooked to a Aisin 6 speed automatic transmission. The 385 hp engine is only offered in a cab and chassis truck while hooked to the aisin, NEVER in a regular 3500 truck. The regular 3500 trucks have the weaker 68rfe trans. There is only a 20 hp difference between a auto and manual trans truck and it's mostly consumed by the rotating weight of the auto trans.

As for the common rail being expensive. You can buy a rebuilt cp3 pump for about $500 and the injectors are about $175. That's not to bad IMO. Especially compared to some of the other injection pumps prices.

But a 2013 is out of my price range anyways for right now. Especially a 3500 cab and chassis truck. I am hoping to find basically the exact same truck as mine in a 03 or 04. I may go with a 4x4 even tho it's not practical for a over the road truck.

I'm glad you weren't driving when that happened, I've beentehre and smoke coming out of the dash driving down the road is no fun! I hope teh ins company takes care of you.

Yep, looks like good old Chrysler wiring. I think they copied Lucas wiring from England. Lucas, the prince of Darkness! [ddd

Had a PT Cruiser one time, several wiring issues with it led me to getting rid of it before it became a crispy critter. I won't own another Chrysler product.:( Ford or GM for me from now on.

Thanks christcrusader!

Bama I'm by no means a Mopar guy. I just like the cummins and haven't had time to put one in a Chevy. Eventually I will build me a old school rig over the road hauler with a cummins in it.

I still haven't heard from the adjuster today!

Well just got off the phone with the "claim owner". After being on hold for ten minutes she said that my claim has been transferred to the fire and theft department. When I asked why it was transferred and not assigned to them in the first place she couldn't answer me and just kept saying that the new adjuster would explain their role in my claim. WTF! It was like trying to talk to my 5yr old when he has done something wrong and won't give me a straight answer.

Pretty sure this is gonna be a night mare of a long drawn out process..

Thats what started the fire.....

. He also claimed they couldn't up the value of the truck due to all the upgrades that I have done to it. Witch I find hard to believe. It has new 50 horse injectors, a edge programmer, Reece rails for hitch in the bed, aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket exhaust brake, a cold air intake with k&n filter, new fly wheel and upgraded clutch, and a flow thru tailgate but he claims that don't add to the value! [S

You put so much stuff on it that the increase in horsepower caused it to run hot, melt thru the firewall and ignite the programmer.....or....Arson, or...and don't anyone send me any hate mail....TYPICAL CHRYSLER WIRING ISSUES....God I hate mopars!!! getting serious for a second....
I am very sorry about the truck....I've have lost a vehicle before from an electrical fire and I got the shaft from the insurance company....hope this goes better for you....

Latest posts

Back