Oiled car?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R_CK_R

I'm looking for a solution to preserve the actual condition of the colour and the rust stains on my Olds.
I've found something and wanted to ask you guys if you ever have heared about it. A guy I've met on a little car meet at the weekend told me I should rub my car with linseed oil. It should get soaked in the rust and seal it up that it stays like it is. The oil should also be water-repellent and should built a coat like clear paint but I think it is not glossy (what I like).

Maybe you guys can tell me more about oiling cars and maybe with some pictures? I'd be very interested in seeing an oiled car [P
because I only found some pictures of oiled tractors...

Thanks!

This is just me but I wouldn't oil a car. CAn create problems if you ever decide to paint or at least that's been my experience. A lot of guys used to use WD40 but that didn't last long. Might check the Rat Wax banner when it pops up on the forum ads.

Toad

I have applied burnt linseed oil twice a year for the past 6 years with no ill effects . Works for me . I have also painted a few areas that were oiled . First scrubbed them down with a Brillo pad and detergent . Painted with Rustolem flat black rattle can #7776 . Paint has not lifted or discolored or done anything except look the same as it did when I put it on . We are not talking about a shiny street rod paint job , just a flat black ratrod look .

so, I bought some oil and tried it last weekend... It's still drying and a little bit glossy but I think its gonna be cool.
Here are some pics.
first pic is fresh after oiling and the other pics are 24 hours later...

Attachments

• e0925c6d.l.jpg
    e0925c6d.l.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 9bced180.l.jpg
    9bced180.l.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 27
  • c4d54f28.l.jpg
    c4d54f28.l.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 29
Today my girlfriend and I oiled the complete car. I think it looks preety cool :)
And I could also prove the water resistance of the oil :)

Attachments

• cfd265a9.l.jpg
    cfd265a9.l.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 22
  • c15cefeb.l.jpg
    c15cefeb.l.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 8d18485c.l.jpg
    8d18485c.l.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 29
  • aa33bc9e.l.jpg
    aa33bc9e.l.jpg