40 ford PU cab chop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooner

I'd like to chop my cab. The cab roof has a stock forward rake I would like to take out as I chop it.
I want to rake the whole cab and it's shortened bed a little and the roof line would look too raked.

Ultimately, I'd like the upper side window/roof line to be parallel with the lower door window line.
I figure about a 3" chop in the rear and two inches in the front.
Has anyone done this? Any tips would be helpful
Thanks
Spooner

got any pictures of your truck ? I have a 49 I took out 4 " front and back Im not sure what kind of rake mine had to it ,, must not of had much cause I didnt notice it . 16-06-12_191 (1).jpg

Last edited:
It's not impossible, but it will be some extra work in the door window frame areas, as well as deciding how to go about removing that rake, I imagine you would cut the extra out of the rear chop and drop it further than the front, but at some point that will rotate the top back. This will lessen the amount you would have to extend the front pillars or the amount you would have tolay them back.

It is an interesting way to go, personally I like the look of a chopped top with the rake:

DSC02139.jpg

It's not impossible, but it will be some extra work in the door window frame areas, as well as deciding how to go about removing that rake, I imagine you would cut the extra out of the rear chop and drop it further than the front, but at some point that will rotate the top back. This will lessen the amount you would have to extend the front pillars or the amount you would have tolay them back.

It is an interesting way to go, personally I like the look of a chopped top with the rake:

DSC02139.jpg

My 2 cents...
It can be done but will reqiure extensive reworking of the upper(Window) area of the door. Both of the the window frame upper corners radius's will have to be reworked in order to bring the top of the door parallel.
And then the cab itself will be more envolved than just taking more out of the back than the front. By removing more from the back it will bring down the rear of the roof, but it will also change the angle of the A Pillar. So again you will have to rework the door tops as well as possibly the top of the cowl section as well as the A pillars. Lots of relief cuts and lots of welding.
In other words it can't just be chopped and tilted. Nothing will line up.
Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
Torchie.

This is a side view. I have two cabs. Was gonna use one for parts. I like the look of the whole cab and bed raked forward a little.

But with rake built into the roof line already, I am thinking it will look out of place.

Tripper, I do like the looks of your cab. Do you have any side view pics? Or maybe a closer shot?

Thanks

Spooner

Attachments

• cab side view.jpg
    cab side view.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 32
Having 2 cabs to work with will help a lot.
How much of a overall rake are you looking for?
If you look at the pic that Dirtyrat posted you will see that it has an overall rake as well.
The wedge shaped roof as well as a mild overall rake give these trucks an aggresive look that I think is great.
If you can, before any cutting begins I would do a mock up of the whole thing or a photoshop at least. And then live with it for a while.
If you don't have photoshop capabilities post a request on the board. Some one will help you.
Torchie.

Just saw a pic of Honest Charley's 41. That is a WHOLE lot like I'm gonna end up with.
Gotta have that plan.

I see the way the cab is riding on the chassis, level at the bottom. Wonder what year grill that is?

I think 3 97's will look about right

Thanks for the pics and ideas!

Spooner[;)

Latest posts

Back