First cut is DONE..This is what I have

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadRATT

Ok..I couldnt stand it anymore so I just went out,finished taping and CUT the top.!! I cut the front half first and this is what I ended up with...( I should have taped it,it was funny as HELL watching me trying to hold the top and cut at the same time..a CLASSIC Video was in the making..LMAO..)Now I thought about relief cuts but couldnt I just cut the top in half and move it outward.? Seems it would make it a lot easier BUT input is what I need...Let me know..HURRY..Im in a cutting mood..!! :D:D

Attachments

• SANY0457.jpg
    SANY0457.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 312
  • SANY0456.jpg
    SANY0456.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 284
  • SANY0454.jpg
    SANY0454.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 307
The relief cuts only need to be a few inches long in order to spread the posts out a little bit where they need to be. If you cut the top in half, that is twice the amount of work that needs to be done at the finish end. Trust me and I'm sure others will post too, don't cut the top in half! Good luck, just keep going on it:D.....CR

You must cut these F Series roofs in half and widen them in order to have the door windows to fit properly. If you eye ball it down the side from front to back you will see that the angle of the B pillar (angled in at the top) will be less than the A Pillar. This will make your door window frame twist in at the top front. In the end your flat side window will not roll up properly into the frame if you don't widen the front of the roof. Been there,done that. So a relief cut is not the answer for this roof.

Uh...too late

Hmm...too late to stop..LOL.Relief cuts are made.This is what I have so far.Now the gap between the chopped front half and the back is about 3 and 1/2 inches..should it be the 4 inches I cut out..? The gap I need to fill is a little under a 1/4 inch,should I try and lessen that.?I know I need to tweek it but I need to settle on one side first because everytime I pull it one way,it throws the other side off.

Attachments

• SANY0461.jpg
    SANY0461.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 212
  • SANY0460.jpg
    SANY0460.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 228
  • SANY0459.jpg
    SANY0459.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 228
Sorry, I wasn't aware you had to cut the top in half on these trucks! I was only trying to save you a bunch of extra work. Better listen to these guys that have done this type of chop before. I've only done cars. Looks good so far, keep it up! :D.........CR

Hey 56, did you run into any issues with your door window frame. I seen a guy up here do it like that and ended up with a real problem rolling up his window. But then he did have a very radical chop to which would exagerate the situation.

No problems. No side windows! Won't be driving it when its so cold I need windows.

I do have some plexiglas if I do put side windows in. It's flexible enough that it won't be a problem. It only changed the window angle less than 1/4" on each side.

Hehehehe...

We dont need no stinkin windows..!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D We are rat rodders man..WE LIVE FOR THIS>>!!

Dave, when the hell did you get another cab? I gotta send you a pic of what I recently acquired.

Way to go Dave! Just keep cutting! Looks like you have a handle on it now. Don's chop pics are worth a thousand words. Keep your progress pics coming too. I'm with you on the window issue. I don't plan to use any side windows either.

Thunder

Traded for the cab.

Drifter,I had so much stuff laying around I tried asking guys who had cabs for sale if they wanted a partial trade...worked out perfect.The guy I got this from has a HUGE barn filled with tin.Got a decent 1935 Ford cab too,sitting in the rafters.Funny thing is...he HATES the word rat rod.!! LMAO..told him what I was building AFTER we loaded in into my truck.I just found what I REALLY want but have no way of getting it here to Michigan from Calif.Really nice 32 Ford Modal A cab...Guy will make a nice deal for it,but hauling it kills the deal.Still trying to get the hauler to meet me half way...

Last edited:
OK...Front is done.

Alrighty then,front half is done.!! I still have some filling in to do but the major part is over.Now the back has been cut and this is how it looks so far.I still have some light grinding to do to make it fit a little tighter.Uh..dmw56,you sure this will all pull together with relief cuts..? ..LOL...:D:D That back brace made me crazy so I had to cut the ends off a little bit so I could adjust the top left or right.Just have to figure out how to grow 2 more sets of hands so one can hold the top while the others weld...:D See...it aint so hard...if I can do this..ANYONE can..!! Trust me.

Hmmmm..maybe pics would help.

LMAO....got excited....forgot a few pics...

Attachments

• SANY0466.jpg
    SANY0466.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 220
  • SANY0465.jpg
    SANY0465.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 203
  • SANY0464.jpg
    SANY0464.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 210
  • SANY0463.jpg
    SANY0463.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 187
I knew you could do it! looks great and now you have something a lot of other people don't have.......Experience. :D........CR

Really nice 32 Ford Model A cab...

FYI: There is no such thing as a '32 Ford Model A. The last year for the A Model designation was 1931, and they are totally different from a 1932 model. A '32 truck cab will resemble a '33-'34 with a few minor differences like the beltline and firewall. If you educate yourself a little more on what you are wanting or what you are trying to get out of someone you might have better luck...

Wow...

Gee B E D I didnt know you cruised posts correcting people..Man...thats a cool job.I also didnt know you were in charge of telling people to educate themselves.I am not TRYING to get anything out of anyone..Its FOR SALE...I mean you do understand what that means dont you..?I give him money and he gives me the truck cab..:D.Oh by the way..the ad STATED.."1932 Model A truck cab for sale." I will make sure to tell him you said hes wrong...I mean being only human and making mistakes is un-heard of.!!! I dont know what that guy was thinking.Maybe you should have a class to educate him and I am sure others will sign up...humans..mistakes...what will become of us.?

Yeah it is a pretty cool job, but it keeps me busy! :D Relax guy, I was just trying to help you out. Yes, you should tell him it is wrong. I know *I* would because I look out for other people that might not be as educated. Did you notice that I explained the difference? If it hurt your feelings then sorry, but that info might save someone else from making a big mistake. But hey, if you don't care about what you are buying when it is FOR SALE, that's great... I've got a bridge you might be interested in!

Latest posts

Back