Suicide door power locks

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkadams123

I am waiting for my title and plates to come in the mail, and decided that I needed safety locks on my suicide door. I started with a switch and 2 power door locks from a Suburban, and some 1/2 inch square tubing and a piece of square rod that fit inside.

Attachments

• locks 1.JPG
    locks 1.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 37
And then?

Is this going to be one of those posts where we guess what you're going to do next....lol....sorry....just kidding....been away for a few weeks....what ya working on?? :D

I mounted the power lock on the inside of the door, and mounted the square tubing so it lined up with a hole I drilled in the door. I also drilled a hole in the door jamb of the car so the holes lined up. I used some 1/4 inch rod to connect the power lock to the square rod, and added a loop for a manual way to lock and unlock the doors. I powered it up, and it worked great! Now I need to build the one for the other door, and wire in the permanent power and lock switch.

Attachments

• lock2.JPG
    lock2.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 47
  • lock3.JPG
    lock3.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 46
  • lock4.JPG
    lock4.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 40
  • lock5.JPG
    lock5.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 44
Hey sgtpontiac, I guess you are just faster at posting then I am at uploading pictures! Good to see you're back on the site.

Yeah....like a bad penny I keep showing back up...lol

Hey sgtpontiac, I guess you are just faster at posting then I am at uploading pictures! Good to see you're back on the site.

Ok...now I see where you are going....these are like homemade latchs to hold the door closed.....not at all what I was thinking.....lol....are those going to hold ok?? and are you going to reenforce them at all? Just things popping into this beady mind...:D

The original door latches are working fine right now. These are just a safety lock incase the latch pops open on a bump. I don't have rubber in the door seal yet so it rattles on our gravel road. There would not be stress or pressure on these so I don't think they need to be reinforced. I just really don't want the wind catching the doors going down the road!

Had the center console apart to work on a short in the cooling system, so decided to wire the door locks. I ended up using s salvaged electric window switch. It took some time with a test meter to figure out how the switch worked inside, and which contact to hook where, but it worked great. I am now running the permanent wiring and mounting the switch in the console. Hope to have it done tomorrow once I buy more wire.

Latest posts

Back