Low & Slow: 56 Dodge with MB Turbo Diesel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice CB...

If you've been away for decades you sure haven't forgotten much...nice, clean and well executed.....[cl

If you've been away for decades you sure haven't forgotten much...nice, clean and well executed.....[cl

Thanks, Sarge. It helps to work with older, simpler technology! The Mercedes turbo diesel is basically 1970's tractor technology made more car-like with a shorter stroke. Only a few wires to hook up!

Nice build you have. Love the grille.

Bob

Not much to update. Working on instrument panel and console.

Seats are from a 1972 mercedes that I happened across in a pull-a-part yard. Car was completely rusted out, but seats were in unbelievable condition.

Bob

IMG_1205.jpg

Those almost look old school...

If it weren't for the head rest holes, you'd think they were old and recovered....fit great too....nice score..

If it weren't for the head rest holes, you'd think they were old and recovered....fit great too....nice score..
Sarge, While we have a hard time thinking of '72 as old, those seats are remarkable for being that old.

charliebob,
If this ride gets much more Mercedes DNA, it will require a tir-star on the hood. :D

Lookin' good.

Hood will have a big ram ornament from the "pilot house" dodge trucks. It is over a foot long!

IMG_6096.jpg

Maybe I can mount a tri-star on the expanded metal grille!!

The Benz seats were not something I was looking for or planned to use. Happened across them at a pull-a-part yard and could not pass them up for $28/each.

Thanks for the compliments.

Looking good! Glad you keep updating, as I almost didn't catch this build! Really like the mix! If you put a Benz emblem on, you'll have to make room for a Jaguar too!

Nice job posting!

John

Lovein' it! Totally irreverent! [cl

The owners of that star sign my paycheck. :D

Since they sign your paycheck, I'm sure you noticed that my irreverence extends to having the star upside down! But I'll likely mount it the right side up.

Mine tend to be high and slow but i can appreciate this. :D I have been thinking of a MB diesel for the Model A.

They are slow by modern standards, but not as slow as a stock model A. The old turbo diesels (up through 1985) are almost indestructible and can often be bought for a few hundred bucks. Noisy, but dependable! A model A with a tri-star ornament on top of the grille would be unique. Economical too!

Charliebob, You've got my vote on the grille. Now for the down side; you have to make that exact grille, because -----well----you just have to.:D[;):D

Well, I have the expanded metal and a 7" tri star. Just need to make the horizontal bars. Maybe ........

Finished panels for instruments and a console, but I'm not sure they it will count as progress! Too much bling!

56%20dash.png

Panels are made out of the back side of aluminum road signs, finished with nothing more than a random orbital sander with a scotchbrite pad.

Instruments in the center panel were borrowed from an earlier project. Currently rethinking instruments and panels.

Slow progress. Finally finished the E-brake. The Mercedes mechanism works well. Yes, it aluminum, but at least it is not billet and was inexpensive at pull-a-part!

IMG_1426.jpg

Latest posts

Back