Big Block Bantam

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I positioned the front tubes and drilled mounting holes through the firewall. Used the borrowed sheet metal brake for the first time to fold the bottom of the firewall back. Had to do that to clear the right side header. It's 1/8" thick aluminum. I cut about a 1/16" groove in it along the bend line. That worked good.

I don't know if a swing out bar will be used,Tom. In my Fiat I used a bolt in bar and I just leave it out for street driving. Might do the same for this car.

Last edited:

In order to weld the front tubes to the cowl hoop I have to take the body off. That requires the firewall to be slotted under the tubes so the body can be put back on the frame. I slotted the firewall then made a removable panel for each side to cover the slot.

You're certainly moving right along. Are you planning to have this one ready for Meltdown? If so, I hope we will have an opportunity to stage together. It would be an honor to run against you.

Pictures are great. Please take some pictures of the completed cage before it gets covered with any tin. This is your best hot rod. [cl[cl[P[P

Last night I pulled the body, alone. In the process I mangled the firewall extension. But it's okay gang. The extension was exactly the wrong width and interfered with the front frame tubes, where they attach to the cowl hoop. Gotta come up with a new design.

sc5080, I've registered my dragster and Crosley for the Meltdown Drags. A friend is going to run the Crosley. I like the dragster, it's slow. If I get the thing done and can find someone who wants to run it, and it's not filled up, it will be there. It would be fun to line up against you. I'd get a good look at the back end of your roadster.

Tom, you only get to see the good parts. You don't see the "outtakes". But thank you anyway.

Today I tacked the rearmost hoop in place, cut and tacked the two back braces. The large hoop cannot be installed until the body is on because it is too wide at the top. It is clamped in so I could fit the quarter round shoulder bars. With the body off I'll do all the finish welding on the frame.
Right now it's so cold I am parking my big truck in the garage and there is little room to work.

If I get the thing done and can find someone who wants to run it, and it's not filled up, it will be there. It would be fun to line up against you. I'd get a good look at the back end of your roadster.

Well Bob ... IF you get it finished, and IF I don't get the altered done, and IF you brought it to Meltdown, you MIGHT be able to persuade me to take it down the track for you. :D:D:D

Hell Bob, to tell the truth, I'd take it down the track in a heartbeat if you have it there and need someone to run it, even if I do have the altered there. Entry #149. The Scout and the Prefect are entries #1 and #2. Its filling up fast - they were at 400 cars this morning.

Not much progress today. Went to breakfast with the boys. Did some more fitting on the quarter round tubes and made the two top tubes that connect the hoops. Spent the rest of the day laying around, not feeling real great.

sc, If I get it done I'll check with the Meltdown guys to see if there are any cancellations. The hard part is getting it there.

Cage is looking real nice, I'm sure it will pass NHRA 8.50 and slower tech cert when you are done.

Wish my health was better, I would fly out to your neck of the woods to make a pass in that fine hot rod. :D:D:D

I remade the firewall extension and managed to use the same plate for the firewall. Just narrowed it and redrilled the mounting holes.
There is some rust our in the lower cowl. began cutting it out. No sparks. As you can see sometime in the Bantam's past someone fixed a dent with lead a quarter inch thick.

I had to excavate to get to the rusted inner cowl brace (sitting on the cowl) and replaced it with the one you see in place of it. Ran out of MIG gas so I gas welded it. It actually welded better with the torch on the rusty A pillar. Next I'll try to make a decent outer patch. Then a skim coat of Bondo, the lead substitute. Hopefully not a quarter inch thick.

Finished the cowl patches and other major bodywork on the body and turned my attention to finish welding the frame. Got it done today and dressed the welds so they don't look so bad.

A friend stopped over so we popped the body on the frame. The rest of the roll cage can be installed now, effectively trapping the body on the frame. It will be close quarters work the rest of the way.

Looking forward to seeing the finished cage inside the body. Sure looks clean. Going to be a great street hot rod & weekend drag car.[cl:D

Latest posts

Back