Is There a Line?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How Would You Describe Your Rat Rod?

• High Quality/High Dollar Show Hot Rod

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • High Quality/High Dollar But Falls Outside Age Limits

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Home Made But Safe Hot Rod - Low Buck

Votes: 41 91.1%
  • A Loose Pile Of Random Parts - That Move

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Art Car - Ready For a Parade

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have to admit that I am not nuts about the term Rat Rod (no offense to anyone on this forum :)) I kinda hate it when someone says "I like your Rat Rod," because most of the people saying it don't have a clue what they are referring to.

I think the reason for me not caring for it is because it is one thing to have a car built from a variety of parts and it might be a little rough around the edges, but it is another thing to build a car that is just thrown together with clown car elements, just to shock the onlookers. We have all seen those kinds and they have given the term RR a bad image and name.

Don
I, quite awhile back, quit referring to any of my builds as rat rods because of this example Don posted.
I believe in the principles, it's your money and time so build what you want, call it what you want and I'll call mine a Hotrod.
For god's sake, build it safe so you, yours and mine are all safe too.
Remember, it only take one pi$$ed off and dedicated person to put an end to our passion.

because most of the people saying it don't have a clue what they are referring to.

Right on... to this or any definition.

I've done too many car shows to care what people call "it". (In my opinion, the public is ignorant and their choice in terminology proves it.) Of course, even real car guys will argue any one car's definition, which I also have no time or need for... an exercise in futility.

Oh yeah, the poll. :eek: So far, I'm in the 100% group. :p

I guess my definition would be any owner built vehicle using more skill and ingenuity than cash constructed for the purpose of fun, speed and or attention, but falling outside the strict definition* of a "traditional hot rod"

*See our friends over at HAMB for that definition

That's my open warped opinion. If welding up road signs for a floor and covering the seats with old blue jeans is your thing then go for it.

Why I like this forum over others is that for the most part it is less judgmental and hostile, but I do think we should all encourage our contributors to build safe rides.

My 2 cents

Everyone else calls my car a ratrod becuase of the rust and primer patine I suppose. To me it's just an old hot rod and I don't get too upset with the general public and their opinions. Except the same people also like the goofy cartoon cars and want to tell me how cool this one or that one is.

I don't give a crap for labels the only thing I care about when it comes to someones else car is that its safe. so some do gooders with authority don't use it as a excuse to clamp laws down on everyone else because some idiot builds a dangerous car.

saw a saying that fits my feelings on the subject......."

"Those who judge don't count
those who count don't judge"
;)

Everyone else calls my car a ratrod becuase of the rust and primer patine I suppose. To me it's just an old hot rod and I don't get too upset with the general public and their opinions.

Back in the day we called them beaters, it was years before i ever had a vehicle with a real paint job. After I put most of my money in the engine/tranny there was nothing left for paint, always loved primer anyway! :D

Zipper

I have to admit that I am not nuts about the term Rat Rod (no offense to anyone on this forum :)) I kinda hate it when someone says "I like your Rat Rod," because most of the people saying it don't have a clue what they are referring to.

I think the reason for me not caring for it is because it is one thing to have a car built from a variety of parts and it might be a little rough around the edges, but it is another thing to build a car that is just thrown together with clown car elements, just to shock the onlookers. We have all seen those kinds and they have given the term RR a bad image and name.

Don

I'm with Don! I don't use the term "rat rod" for my car, but a lot of people do. To me, it's just a rough old hot rod. The other day, a kid asked me if it was a "rat racer".....I was kinda annoyed for a second, then had to agree with him....it's kinda ratty, and has numbers on the door like a race car. So now it's my Rat Racer. :)

Latest posts

Back