1951 Ford F1

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started taking everything apart and getting ready for paint and finish welding.
It's now ready to pull the body and engine out.
008-10.jpg

010-10.jpg

Painted the rear end with Rustoleum textured black.
009-10.jpg

Front axle Eastwood cast gray.
011-8.jpg

I pulled the body off and engine out of the frame today. Flipped the frame upside down and welded up everything underneath. Ground off the weld boogers (even with a mig you get them but not like with a stick welder) and wiped it down with lacquer thinner. Shot 2 coats of primer on the bottom and sides of the frame. Probably over kill for a Rat Rod. I'm going to have a nice shiney frame and susupension and Patina'd Body? Go figure.

The combination of a shiney, detailed frame with an original patina body is what I like. Looking forward to seeing the finished truck.

I pulled the body off and engine out of the frame today. Flipped the frame upside down and welded up everything underneath. Ground off the weld boogers (even with a mig you get them but not like with a stick welder) and wiped it down with lacquer thinner. Shot 2 coats of primer on the bottom and sides of the frame. Probably over kill for a Rat Rod. I'm going to have a nice shiney frame and susupension and Patina'd Body? Go figure.

Man, am I glad to hear your gonna leave the patina alone!!! :D I thought you might be considering painting that perfectly aged cab something nice and shiny. :eek:

Thunder1

Here's the upside down frame. I painted it with Krylon primer. The color coat will be Krylon Hammered Black. I'll shoot it outside and bring it in when its dry and hope for no afternoon thunder storms. I sure wish I had a spray booth.

001-12.jpg

002-14.jpg

004-14.jpg

Here's just a shot of the Super Bell axle logo.

003-14.jpg

Hey, man, I`m really diggin` your truck!!! I just happen to have a `48 f2 cab as well as a`51 and a couple of good sixes. Too many worthy projects, not enough time.:D

Thanks everyone for your compliments. This has been a fun build all the hard work is done and now it's time to put it back together.

I got the frame painted. I used Rustoleum Hammered Black which has kind of a texture to it
001-13.jpg

003-15.jpg

I got all the small pieces painted and ready. The axle, calipers, steeing arm, and tie rod arms are Eastwood Cast gray with matte clear coat. Most of the other suspension parts are Rustoleum Hammered Gray or Eastwood Spray Gray with a matte clear coat.
002-15.jpg

005-16.jpg

Last edited:
The frame on the mock was pretty much level so I set it back level when I started the assembly. I started with the rear end. I put the coil overs on first and then centered the rear end with the panhard bar. When I removed the hair pins the rear was set at 3 degrees down so I left the clevis' and heim joint like the were so I would'nt have to readjust them. I then measured from the front of the frame to the center of the axle on both side to verify the axle was straight.

Most of the fastners I am using are Stainless Steel so make sure you use antiseize on them or they will weld themselves together. On the SS bolts I use nuts with nylon inserts but still use lock washers. And on the non SS I will use Locktite even with lock washers. I own a Harley so I always have Locktite around.

009-11.jpg

010-11.jpg

011-9.jpg

Last edited:
After I got the rear end in I double checked that all the bolts were tight. I did torqued them according to the bolt diameters. I then moved to the front suspension. I first installed the front spring with the u-bolts. Again I used nuts with nylon inserts and Locktite. I'm using Blue medium strength.

007-12.jpg

I then attached the batwings to the axle and then attached it to the spring with the shackles.
008-11.jpg

Next I attached the hairpins to the batwings and to the frame. Again when I removed them I left the clevis' and Heim Joint in the same position so I wouldn't disturb the 6 degree negaitve caster.
012-7.jpg

013-5.jpg

I was at a good stopping point so I will continue this If I have some more time this week after work. My wife's gone this week so I'm sure I will.

Last edited:
I did pick up a new rebuilt transmission last week. It's a TH350 with stock converter which will be fine behind the 250 6 cylinder. I got it from Universal transmission in Rio Rancho,NM for $500 with exchange and 12 month warrenty.

004-15.jpg

Fantastic job dmw!! I always look forward to opening your new pics and seeing the progress you've made on what has to be my favorite truck. Thanks for posting them.

Thunder1

'been thru every page of this build since you introduced me to your inline 6 pics. have to say that its not only super cool but its what i think rodding should be - that use what you have and build what you need mentality - anyways, thanks for all the pics. it has to be time consuming to not only build a cool ride but also document it all to this level so once again THANKS!

Man it's really looking nice dmw56. It was fun watching the whole build. Thanks for the documentation and pics. Can't wait to see the engine in the nice painted chassis.

Latest posts

Back