throatless shear

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutch

RRR Supportor
For some reason throatless shears are few & far between overhere. I`ve been looking into purchasing a Beverly but just could not bring myself to paying the Beverly price + shipping the boat achor across the globe, but I also didn`t want to go China-crap, so nothing really happened.

A few weeks ago I stumbled across a big old shear on a tool and machine site, and I bought it unseen. It weighs 125 lbs , :eek: which is a lot more than the B-3 Beverly. No Brand to be found but I did find DRGM in the casting and found out that is the code Gemany used for patented tools from 18-something up to 1952... anyway, it`s a beast. I might even call it "the Beast" :p

I forgot to take before pics but it was like yer average old pos tool, and the blades actually had a radiussed edge... regrinding those was a bit of a challenge but I think I got it where it needed to be. I just love bringing those old quality tools back to live.

Attachments

• IMGP6063.jpg
    IMGP6063.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMGP6064.jpg
    IMGP6064.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMGP6068.jpg
    IMGP6068.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMGP6070.jpg
    IMGP6070.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 36
Deutsches Reichs-Gebrauchsmuster

That was Germany's answer to a patent system. Sometimes German equipment might be lacking style but they built things heavy duty.

Congrats on the score Dutch, glad you finally found one.
Any tips on sharping the blades...

[P[P

Not really, If it was a Beverly and had I lived in the states, I would have sent them to Beverly to resharpen. These blades were so far gone, I just started grinding surfaces flat at an angle I thought would be just about right ,untill all round edges were gone. Then I bolted the upper blade back in and started fine tuning the lower. Getting both sharp and fitted took about 2 hrs.

Latest posts

Back