Rear air bags

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vht

Anyone ever drag raced a car with rear air bags? Just wondered how good they would work, thinking about a heavy duty triangulated 4 link, 3/4 heim joints, CM. Where can you buy a good set of bags and do you plumb the bags separately? I would think you would. Never done air bags so any help appreciated.

I can't say I've seen a competitive drag car running air springs. (???)

What do you hope to accomplish? A heavy 13 second car can be all kinds of wrong but it'll be fairly consistent. If you want to run 10's, the game changes considerably and you won't find "waterbags" under a 10 second race car.

If you could explain your goals and the vehicle in question, we can offer better advice...

Triangulated 4 bar would not be my first choice in a drag car, ladder bar or 4 link.
Real fast and consistent drag vehicle do not run an air bag suspension for a reason.
Using air bags would be a trick cause the lower bars need to be level at static ride height, requiring you to be very vigilant on bag pressure.
That said anything can be done with enough effort.

Seen a few guys run an air bag inside a rear coil a few times, can’t tell you how well it worked. Theory was it stiffened the suspension. Some used one on the right side, some used one in both and varied pressures side to side. I don’t think you’d want bags as your total suspension, maybe as a supplement to coils or leafs. Straight ladder bars or better yet a 4 link would yield the best performance on the track, but would be more work to get a good ride on the street.

Latest posts

Back