Swapping a Saginaw 4spd with a T5

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Crusty Rusty Old Rat Rodder!
I'm ready to start putting in my floor sub structure. However, floor space is at a premium and the Hurst shifter takes up way too much space on the side of the Saginaw. I know very little about the T5 other than i need a pre 93 to use a speedo cable.
Here are a few questions i know you guys can answer.

1, Which tranny will have shifter location where the Saginaws is. I will include a picture below.
2, Will the tailshaft mount be in the same place. The length of the tailshaft makes no difference because i don't have a driveshaft yet.
3, what gear ratio do the T5s come in and which would be best for my Buick straight 8.
4, I drive like an old man, cause i am, so i probably don't need the world class T5.
5, What would one cost, I'll be selling my Saginaw and new Hurst shifter to help with cost.

Thanks in advance,
Bruno

Couldn't get the picture to load

Bruno, this site has some good info on T5!

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/t5-transmission/

I believe you'll find T5 and NV3500 are top mounted shifters unlike the side mounted Saginaw. One of the things you'll need to determine is compatibility with bolt pattern on your motor. I'm not sure what your straight 8 fits. T5s came in lots of stuff. Mustangs, Jeeps, S10...on S10s the T5 didn't fit the Chevy V8s but the NV3500 did(came in 4.3 V6). I have one I can get measurements on for tailshaft mount.

Small, I have a bentsens adapter, Running an aluminum chevy bellhousing with the saginaw. Are you saying none of the T5s will bolt up to the chevy bellhousing?

The T5 was also was used in Camaros. The one used in a 305 Camaro,Firebirds are said to be rugged enough being a World class. I don't know if it will olt to your bellhousing.

Small, I have a bentsens adapter, Running an aluminum chevy bellhousing with the saginaw. Are you saying none of the T5s will bolt up to the chevy bellhousing?

No, I don't know that. If you have the adapter, anything that was mated to sbc will fit. I thought they were all T5 in S10 until I did some studying. The one I have turned out being a NV3500. They were also used in lots of Chevy stuff.

Yes, finally. About time i got back to work, been messing around with it for 10 years. My brother in law is going to come out from Louisville a couple of time a week to give me a hand. I hope that doesn't mean standing around clapping while i work. I also have a certified welder who will do my final welding for me. Will update my build thread when i have something to show.

Any GM pattern T5 will bolt to your bellhousing... Saginaw, Muncie and Borg Warner (T5 in this case) should be alike.

As mentioned, there are many applications and differences to know before you choose one.

Here's the most comprehensive T5 information I've found... heavy on the learning, but a small headache now is better than a giant headache later...

https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com/t5-info-page.html

You guys almost missed the really good news. "Bruno is working on the truck", Right On!
Bruno, my T-5 is out of an S10 and the gearshift comes out of a square hole in the top of the front of the tail shaft housing. It is more centred than your Saginaw and further ahead.
Plan 'B' could be heat up your Saginaw gearshift and bend it forward if you don't have to move it too far.
Good to see you digging into that truck.

x2 Bruno...glad you are back to work on the truck

I have a NV3500 in a 95 Chevy half ton with a 350....it seems larger than the t-5 apparently handles the 350 with no problem... I got the truck for parts for a build my grandson was doing and there it sits.... lol..

Latest posts

Back