body off frame.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E$rnie Pintor III

So I've taken truck cabs off the frame. No problem.but fow hard is it to pull a whole car off a frane? My wife wrecked my 64 buick. All front damage. Frames bent . Was wondering if it would be easy to pull it off the frame and stick it on another?

I once lifted my full-size Chevy body from its frame ('67 Impala) with two chain falls and improvised gantries "tied" to my garage trusses. :D

Long story short, it was stripped of its interior, doors and trunk lid to reduce the weight. I would not describe the process as "easy" but my needs and intentions were different from yours.

How bad is your frame damaged? A good frame guy might correct your issue(s) quicker, easier and (potentially) cheaper than a complete frame swap.

It's not brain surgery

But it does take some time. As the gentlemen have said talk to a frame shop first, won't know till you ask. [S
This is my el camino less front sheet metal, doors, and interior, rt at 1000#. The rotisserie is a good thing if your doing work on the bottom of the car, if not put it on saw horses and roll out the bad and roll in the good. [cl

Attachments

• spr 0168.jpg
    spr 0168.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 17
One way to do it is to jack the whole thing up high, support it with something like concrete blocks (yeah, I know they can crumble, but I've done it even with boats to remove them from the trailer and never had a problem) then lower the frame away from the body and roll it away.

What I do is I put a 2 x 8 pad of wood on top of the blocks and turn each layer of blocks 90 degrees so that the bottom two are facing north and south and the next two are facing east and west, etc, etc.

If you do it on a solid floor, take your time, keep jacking it higher and higher in steps, eventually you will get it high enough. Just don't go getting inside the blocked up body and dancing around, and you will be ok. Then just reverse the process when the new frame is ready to go in there.

I am planning on doing exactly what I described above when my 46 parts car shows up so I can get the frame and running gear out from under the body. Having 2 or more floor jacks really helps too.

Don

Latest posts

Back