Sheets & Giggles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HELP!!!

I'm getting a lot of conflicting advice lately regarding the ignition for this project. I am using a 383 sbc, 671 blower, Enderle injection and alcohol fuel. I will be running 15 pounds of boost maximum .. likely closer to 10 - 12 lbs.

The problem is that I am being told that an MSD 7AL will not supply enough spark to keep the candles lit and that I will need to upgrade to (at least) a Mallory Super Mag III. Does anyone on the board have any experience with this?

If I have to upgrade, are there any used mags out there for a reasonable price?

Appreciate any and all feedback.

Another small job done. Got the injector hat set up and the barrel valve converted to a blown alcohol setup. I last used this hat on a tunnel ram setup and there are a number of differences in the configuration. Starting to get excited as things draw closer to completion.

I also have picked up the transmission for the car .. a built up powerglide with 8 frictions in the high gear clutch, kevlar band, aftermarket shafts and a transbrake.

Hoping to get more of the final fabrication done this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0613.jpg
    IMG_0613.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 38
I'm totally stupid regarding injection but the important thing is you know all about it. Sounds like you found a 'Glide that will handle the power. Do you have a converter yet?

I'm totally stupid regarding injection but the important thing is you know all about it. Sounds like you found a 'Glide that will handle the power. Do you have a converter yet?

Don't sell yourself short Bob .. I think you could get the injection figured out easily enough if you decided to try it. Its really not that complicated.

I do have a converter that I'm going to use. Its a 9" TCS blower converter with a turbo spline that I had built several years ago and never used. Should stall between 35 and 4000 behind this engine - hopefully closer to 4000.

Got a little bit done today. Worked on reinforcing the firewall area of the body and fabbed up a bracket to mount the parachute release handle and cable.

Attachments

• IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Spent a couple of hours today cleaning up the fiberglass and getting the body to fit again. The extra thickness on the firewall from the reinforcement caused the body to shift forward slightly .. took a while to trim the new glass to make the body fit as it should.

Once that was done I finally decided to go ahead and make the tonneau cover to define the cockpit. I've been agonizing over this since I started the build - didn't know what I wanted to do or how to do it. Anyway, the pictures show what I came up with. While I was at it I made an aluminum dashboard as well. I am totally thrilled with the result .. spent about 20 minutes looking at it and saying "Wow" to myself. :D:D:D I might add a cowl extension to cover the steering support crossbar but haven't decided yet.

I think it makes a huge difference and a major improvement to how the car looks.

Attachments

• IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 57
DAMFINELOOKINJOB![cl[cl[cl

Have ya got any shots of the gigantic shoehorn yet???

And please set up 2 cameras one for the front and one showing facial expressions....[ddd:D

Easter weekend was pretty busy around here. Spent Friday looking at houses ... may have found "the one". Got some "due diligence" to do in the next few days and then I'll know if I can put in an offer. :)

Saturday was dinner with the in-laws so didn't get a lot done. Started making the cowl extension and then went had lunch with a friend.

Today i finished the cowl extension. Didn't turn out quite as symmetrical as I wanted but at 100 mph no one will notice I hope. Also got the slots cut into the seat for the safety harness to pass through. Just about time to knock it apart for paint and final assembly. Only a few little things left to do first.

Attachments

• IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0635.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 36
I was hoping to pick up my engine this weekend but it was not to be. Turns out my valve covers won't clear the T&D shaft rockers. Always something.:rolleyes:

Anyway, decided to start on the headers. This is a Speedway sprint car kit with 1 7/8 primary tubes and flanges for the Brodix spread port heads I am using. They were to short to clear the steering drag link and the T bucket body so I had to extend the tubes. I think this will work out pretty good but have to wait for the motor so I can make sure everything clears properly. Happy with what I got done though.

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 29
Good looking headers. You're on the home stretch now. Meltdown Drags for sure!

A question: I see lots of blown cars with individual exhaust pipes, not headers. Do headers provide an advantage on a blown car?

Good looking headers. You're on the home stretch now. Meltdown Drags for sure!

A question: I see lots of blown cars with individual exhaust pipes, not headers. Do headers provide an advantage on a blown car?

Thanks Bob. I remember reading a test a few years back that concluded there was no real difference in power between zoomies or headers on a blown engine. I think the main reason everyone uses the zoomies is that they are lighter and easier to make. I just really like the looks of sprint car headers and the kit was reasonably priced so I thought I would try them. If I decide I don't like how they look on the car when its done you will be amazed at how quickly they can turn into zoomies. :D [;)

Can't leave things alone ... continued working on the headers and got one collector made and shortened the collector and turnout so that they dump just behind the cowl. They will be out of the way so I won't burn my leg getting in and out of the car. Ran out of wire for the welder so this is as far as I can go for now.

Zoomies would have been so much easier .... :p :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 45
So, what color will it be? Bright yellow or orange would be fitting IMHO.

Good choices Bamamav. The short answer for color is "I don't know". I've been so focused on getting the stance and look of the car right that I just haven't visualized it in color. My wife has suggested red scallops over black and then heavy red metalflake in the clear over everything. We did that on one of our junior dragsters and it looked pretty cool. On the other hand it might just wind up being whatever my buddy has left over in his paint cabinet.

Did some more work in the headers today. I think I managed to get both sides to match pretty closely.

Attachments

• IMG_0646.jpg
    IMG_0646.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0647.jpg
    IMG_0647.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg