Sheets & Giggles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question? where is the parachute mount going [S

that's going to be so much fun [dr

I haven't really decided on the parachute location but I'll likely mount it on the turtle deck or else build a bracket on the push bar that I'm planning to make.

I did get the brackets made to secure the engine mounting plates today.

Also, I decided I have to redo the steering box mount and lower it a couple of inches to get more header clearance and to make the drag link more level. I guess that sometimes I don't read the blueprints right - a problem when the blueprints exist only in my head and they are not always the clearest copy around. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 48
Didn't have a lot of time but managed to get the push bar made and fitted today before it was time to head to the in-laws for a wonderful Easter dinner.

Meatballs, pulled pork, ham, potato salad, spinach salad, and iced paska bread. [dr All in all a very good day. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 68
........ for a wonderful Easter dinner.

Meatballs, pulled pork, ham, potato salad, spinach salad, and iced paska bread. [dr All in all a very good day. :D

Heck yeah, with a spread like that you could forget about the car for the rest of the day.......and most of tomorrow probably! [ddd Looking forward to your progress when you can move again. :D

[P[P[P

Had a great chat with the machine shop today on the progress of the engine for the car. Custom made CP pistons have arrived, the Manley rods are here, custom ground billet roller from Bullet Cams has been ordered, all the titanium bits for the ported Brodix X10 heads have arrived, block has been studded and line bored and will be filled with hardblok tonite and be ready for final hone in a couple of days. Estimate is an easy 750 horsepower at 10 pounds of boost. Should make this thing interesting to drive. Wish I had some pictures for you all - the pieces that I've seen are BEAUTIFUL!

That motor is sounding oddly familiar...Hmmm
At a thousand pounds less weight it should be fun... Yee haw !!

What? You're putting a "Scout" engine in the roadster?:D New high performance engine parts are things of beauty.
[cl
BTW, I wear my Saxxon Scout T shirt proudly. Got it at the Meltdown. Didn't meet him cuz he was in staging but I talked to the guy with the Prefect. Nice fella.

You've got a good group of guys in your area. And it's obvious you are an experienced racer. I'm guessing there will be runs where you wish you had 10 or 20 more inches of wheelbase. Just gotta know when to get out of it, eh?

Sorry to miss. Thanks for the gas money. If you were talking to a guy with short greying hair in a bad pair of shorts (who likely was sitting in a lawn chair) that was my brother Paul. Tall guy with a pony tail - that was James

The Scout motor is staying where it is. Hopefully we can sort out the fuel pressures issues by throwing a lot more money at it for this summer. Then we can turn up the wick ... maybe make a run at the 9's

Larry and I are using the same engine builder - Brazier Race and Machine. George built me a motor I will be surprised it breaks rather than surprised it doesn't. Larry's should be a touch more radical with the injected on alcohol set up he's planning.

Hey Bob... see you in July

You've got a good group of guys in your area. And it's obvious you are an experienced racer. I'm guessing there will be runs where you wish you had 10 or 20 more inches of wheelbase. Just gotta know when to get out of it, eh?

Yes Bob, Paul and Dave are the BEST. They help me out a lot.

I was 18 when I started racing oval track cars in 1970, then raced motorcycles for several years. Started drag racing in 1990 with a motorcycle. Got my first altered roadster in 1995 and then a dragster in 1997. Never went down the drag strip in something with doors until 2009. I've been fortunate enough to win a couple of track championships along the way. Both of my daughters competed in the Junior Dragster class and were able to take 2 championships each. The dragster is now setup for my youngest daughter to drive with the "Training Motor" installed - with me driving it runs 8.80 at 150 mph and I find that boring after driving it with my blown Chrysler motor so I wanted something a little more challenging. I'm thinking "Sheets & Giggles" may provide that challenge. :D And hopefully I'm smarter than I am brave and know when to lift.

Here's a pic of my youngest with her "Junior" and a shot of the "brag wall". The car is now for sale as she has aged out of the class. If anyone on the board is interested it can be yours with one easy payment! :D

Attachments

• IMG_0907a.jpg
    IMG_0907a.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 50
Frustrating day. Spent most of the day making a new bracket to lower the steering box only to discover that the pitman arm interfered with with the frame - guess that's why I mounted it where I did in the first place. So, it was back to the old brackets.

Still have to lower the drag link for proper header clearance so it became a 5 minute fix - I put a bend in the drag link so it will clear the header. Now I have to get a longer drag link and then bend it. With the bend I don't get the heim joints in as far as I would like.

Attachments

• IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 54
Didn't get a lot done but I guess any progress is better than none. I'm away from home taking a training course during the week until the end of May and studying like crazy on the weekends so there is not a lot of time to work on the car.

Anyway, I did get time to modify the front hubs as I have been planning. Here are some before and after pics. It really cleans up the front end I think and this was a lot cheaper than buying Wilwood hubs - and who needs front brakes anyway :)

Attachments

• IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0367.jpg
    IMG_0367.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 46
Feeling pretty good right now - finished the first segment of this year's training session, wrote the exam on Heavy Equipment Hydraulic Systems and scored 94% on theory and 100% on the practical. Tomorrow we start Diesel Fuel Injection, Emission Control and Engine Diagnosis. Should be almost as much fun as hitting your hand with a hammer. :)

Latest posts

Back