Mechanical rear disc calipers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzrodder

It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
I want to upgrade the rear brakes on my golf cart - already put in the AUSCO disc conversion and they are pathetic and squeaky :mad: The tall tires and the weight of the car add to the problem, no doubt. I also want to put in a hi speed motor and controller bringing the speed up to 30 MPH so stopping will be a problem.
I'm looking for a Ford 5 lug (5 on 4 1/2") rear rotor and caliper that I can adapt making my own caliper brackets - I've seen ones that use a mechanical parking brake lever on them and I'm thinking that would work with the cables that are on the cart now instead of having to create a whole hydraulic brake system.
Will this work or not??
Also rotors and calipers should I be looking for (15" wheels)??

Attachments

• DSC01593.jpg
    DSC01593.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC01560.jpg
    DSC01560.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I think I'd just go hydraulic with a Ford jelly jar master cylinder for rear brakes only.

With your talents I wouldn't think it would be that hard for you to go hydraulic.

Yeah, I know hydraulic is the best way to go but I don't have a shop in Arizona where the cart is to work on it and fabricate parts when I get there...:(
I have the old drum brake kit here for a mount pattern, so I can make the caliper brackets to take with me when I go to Az in January. With light tools, I should be able to connect the brake cables to the E brake levers on the calipers, maybe upgrade to a proper master cylinder and brake lines next year. What I really need to know is what rotors and calipers to get - Mustang?

Attachments

• may 16 2013 golf #2 002 zz.jpg
    may 16 2013 golf #2 002 zz.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 31
It shouldn't be too hard to figure something out for that. Maybe something similar to the brakes some motorcyles have for the fronts. Like handle bar mounted master cylinders that control the front calipers off a lever.

Rotors ,calipers ,caliper brackits from an explorer may work for a hydraulic set up. I,m told they are used for Ford 9" drum to disc conversions.

I was thinking along the lines of an ATV brakes. Use the fronts and instead of the lever, mount the master cyl to a pedal

17779d1395095397-front-disc-brake-conversion-kit-new-models-offered-disc-con-2-001.jpg

Thanks guys for the help! After looking into the various golf cart upgrade discs, ATV and GoKart setups, it looks like the best way to go is to use parts that are for converting a 9" Ford rear to discs. Those small discs just won't work well with the tall and heavy 820 15 Firestone Drag slicks and the best setups are hydraulic anyway....
After a bunch of internet searching I've found a generic 5 lug rear disc that fits the 5 on 4 1/2" Ford pattern - Aimco 5560 - together with 1980 - 85 Cadillac Seville calipers which have a mechanical E brake that should be easy to adapt to the Club Car brake cables.
Going to Lordco (local auto parts dealer) tomorrow to round them up, I'll post some pics of how it will go together.
Once I get to Az this winter, I'll make a bunch of measurements to create a bolt on kit to convert it to full hydraulic the next year.
Even using it with cable operation for this season has to be far better than the crappy little brakes on it now.

Attachments

• 235_5560_1.jpg
    235_5560_1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20097211558124417.jpg
    20097211558124417.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Got time this week to install my 11" brake kit that I fabbed up at home and brought down to AZ. It pretty much went on as expected - a little filing on the caliper bracket holes - a consequence of making parts for something a thousand miles away with just pics and a backing plate for a guide....:eek:
The Caddy calipers work pretty good with cable operation, I'll take some proper measurements to mount a single pot master cylinder and devise a bolt on hydraulic brake kit to bring down next year.
You can see the before and after difference in size from the aftermarket 7" discs.

Attachments

• DSC00873.jpg
    DSC00873.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00875.jpg
    DSC00875.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00876.jpg
    DSC00876.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00877.jpg
    DSC00877.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00878.jpg
    DSC00878.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00879.jpg
    DSC00879.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00874.jpg
    DSC00874.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 29
Good job [cl

That little sucker is just to cool :eek:

Question, just where do the clubs go?

Well..... 'golf cart' is what it started out as, but I'm not a golfer - it just cruises on paved roads in the RV park. I guess if I'd made the trunk open as a rumble seat, that would have been a good way to tote clubs.

I was wondering how you were going to bleed them when you do go hydraulic, but it looks as though the bleeder valve is on top the way you have them mounted. You can use the mechanical part as a handbrake when you do go hydraulic.

I bet you are the talk of the RV park! [cl

I was wondering how you were going to bleed them when you do go hydraulic, but it looks as though the bleeder valve is on top the way you have them mounted. You can use the mechanical part as a handbrake when you do go hydraulic.

I bet you are the talk of the RV park! [cl

Yep, the bleeders are pointed up (I actually thought that one through :)) and I swapped the calipers, left to right, right to left, along with redesigned park brake levers so they would clear the leaf springs and connect to the Club Car brake cables.
Yeah it gets a lot of smiles, most people think its a fibreglas body or built from a kit. I'm also getting used to older gals calling it "cute'......
Waiting now for delivery of a high speed motor and controller that will up the speed to 30 MPH :D

Latest posts

Back