1933 Dodge 4 door sedan- Mustang II removal

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niksramjet

Hey everyone-

I bought a 1933 Dodge 4 door sedan over the last weekend and I'm starting to work on the parts pile to get things rolling. The previous owner had the factory frame boxed, and a mustang II front grafted on- I plan on removing it lol. My question is this- What is my best bet for a front axle/Suspension??? I come from the rock crawling world, so I'm not afraid to modify anything to make it work but wanted to hear some folks opinions on what direction offers the least resistance? I dig the look of a drop axle with some hairpins and a transverse spring...Any tips?

Appreciate it and have a great day!!!

-Nik

MII

aftermarket MII or stock[S

l have a aftermarket MII in my 3Oish dodge and it handles great. why do you want to change it???

Later :cool:

Attachments

• 01 outside 033.jpg
    01 outside 033.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 01 outside 034.jpg
    01 outside 034.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 25
It's a stock MII front, nothing special and honestly I'm not a fan of it lookwise. I plan on running fenderless and think an old school solid axle looks better IMHO.

just my two cents...

Thanks
Nik

I used a 1953 F100 under my 31 A truck with home made batwings and speedway curtis bars. It works great. I kept it manual steering and drums all the way around with no problems to date. I did go cross steering instead of traditional.

There's several suppliers out there that have all the parts you need in one place and when doing one for the first time it makes it easier to put together.
I'm with smallfoot. Mine is manual traditional and the next one I do will be manual cross steer.

You could also go with a unisteer cross-steer rack - they're great.

Your 33 would have originally had parallel leaf springs (my dad has a 33 still with the original front suspension).

A drop axle with a transverse leaf should work just fine. I would go with a forged I-beam or a tube axle. Cast I-beam axles are more prone to breaking than forged.

Thanks guys!

Skull- I will try to start a build thread once I get going with this one.

I realize it had parallel leafs originally but I figured a transverse looks cooler to me so why not? I have a line on the original axle and steering as well as a 40 ford front but nothing is concrete yet.

Anyone have recommendations?

I just didn't know if there was an axle to avoid because it would break into a million pieces and cause me to careen out of control into a bus loaded with nuns and small children.

Newbie questions will be forthcoming I'm sure- so thanks in advance.

If the '40 axle is complete then snatch it up. Even if you go with an aftermarket axle the '40 has the spindles, brakes and wishbone you need. Not a one stop shop, but definitely covers a lot of bases...

Latest posts

Back