1939 Plymouth Rat (snake)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you were closer, we could do some tradin'. [ddd :D

That would be a very long haul !!

I remember closely studying your photoshops of a ford cab back when I was considering stretching the cab of a Jailbar to make it somewhat comfortable. Very helpful. Two cabs to make one. I have yet to find a second cab at a decent price. So ... a sedan it is!

That would be a very long haul !!

I remember closely studying your photoshops of a ford cab back when I was considering stretching the cab of a Jailbar to make it somewhat comfortable. Very helpful. Two cabs to make one. I have yet to find a second cab at a decent price. So ... a sedan it is!
I'm thinkin' about that stretch again. I think I can pull it off if I can find a cheap door. The doors I have found so far cost almost as much as I paid for a cab.

Floor delete option!

Attachments

• IMG_3481.jpg
    IMG_3481.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 36
haha thats the way to do it! [cl[cl

We'll see!! Hopefully my bracing is adequate and my measurements are correct ... and I don't lose the measurements!

Some progress. Making the floor and firewall out of 16 ga hot rolled rather than 18 ga cold rolled. The hot rolled is softer and welds better. Nevertheless, I use cold rolled for exterior patch panels because it does not have scale like hot rolled.

Second pic was rotated when uploaded, apparently because it is in portrait format rather than landscape. :rolleyes:

Thanks, guys.

Attachments

• IMG_3494.jpg
    IMG_3494.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3497.jpg
    IMG_3497.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 28
Front floor pans are made and attached with a few screws. I plan to mount the body back on the frame before finalizing. Before welding, I need to make body mounts, and make sure the curvature of the rockers match the bottom curvature of the doors.

Trans tunnel will be made after I mount the body on the frame. Center of floor and cross pieces will be trimmed to fit.

The cross pieces serve two roles--strengthen the floor, and serve as seat mounting points.

Now on to the trunk floor.

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 40
Thanks for the compliments rustybeercan and Burgerman.

Finally got all of the floor pan pieces formed and fitted. Will weld later.

I've been waffling on whether to use a 8" but tall after market brake booster, or a fairly modern 11" but thin booster. Ended up going with the big thin one because I could countersink it in the firewall so that only the master cylinder will stick out.

Next I need to put the body back on the frame so I can finish the body mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_3529.jpg
    IMG_3529.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3531.jpg
    IMG_3531.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3534.jpg
    IMG_3534.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 26
Looks great. I was just thinking, could you have sandwiched the firewall between master and the booster and not made it recessed? Just wondering if it would work.

Looks great. I was just thinking, could you have sandwiched the firewall between master and the booster and not made it recessed? Just wondering if it would work.

Yes, it will work. I did that on a build several years ago, and mounted the booster inside (behind the dash) with the master cylinder outside on the firewall. Looks better than recessing, but a PITA it you ever have to replace the booster. Since I am not trying to build a show car, I went with the more practical external mount.

Latest posts

Back