Axle shims

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R_CK_R

Hi RRR People,

Got a little question which I think is pretty easy for you to answere :)

I have lowered my Olds with 3" (wanna go to 4" eventually) Blocks in the Rear and now, of course, my driveshaft has a different angle now.

I've learned that there exist some "Axle Shims" to regulate that angle back.
Is there some advice what Axle Shims (size/degree) to use for example for a 3" drop or a 4" drop?

thanks for your help,
Kai

Impossible question. You'll have to measure your angles and adjust accordingly.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/pinion-angle-shims

attachment.php

Attachments

• DrivelineAngle2.jpg
    DrivelineAngle2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 45
Dr. Crank is right. It is 100% dependent on the actual angles on your driveshaft, and varies too much from vehicle to vehicle for there to be a rule of thumb.

Tremec has a smartphone app which you can use to determine the driveline angles on your vehicle.

Yes, as the suspension moves it moves through an arc and will change the pinion angle as it does so, set the angle at ride height.

That is not what I've expected :D

But thank you very much for your answeres. The angles can only be measured when the car stands on the ground, right?

You can do it with the car on stands under the axle or tires, since with most of our vehicles you can't get under the car when it's on the ground. Just make sure it's supported similar to how it would be if it were on the ground. (rear axle at ride height).

Latest posts

Back