First car you ever went over 100mph in?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bruno, you made me remember that I bought used black-wall tires from the tire shop for $2.00 each sometimes. They might go 100 just a well as the expensive ones.
If you don't use the dollar as a yardstick for value, and use an hour of work instead, you'll see that it took me an hour and a quarter to buy a used tire back then. Now, a machine operator can make $25.00 and hour, so you could buy a thirty dollar used tire today. About the same.
Hey, MM. I take it you are not yet retired. :D Seriously, I often use the same method of calculation. When I retired I could buy two used tires.

First car over a hundred. Riding in my Grandfathers 62 Imperial LaBaron.
413 wedge in it.��
First car 130. My wife’s Benz E class. V -8 and the Speedo went to 160. Still had pedal left. To many deer around here.
My first boat ride over 60. Donzi Sweet 16 with a Holman-Moody 302 in it . Scared the s#*! Out of me. ��
Torchie

I have a friend that had a Checkmate and he was always looking to go faster in it. He took me out one time after he had put a new small block in it. I think we went a little over 60 and that was the last time I rode in that thing. Maybe if I was the one driving it, it would be different? 60 on the water is scary fast.
First car I had that could go over 100 was my '75 Trans Am. I beat that thing like it owed me money. To be fair, just about everything I've owned I've driven like that.
Over 150 was on a 1986 Yamaha FJ1200.

First over 100, 68 Vette of a friend girl, she let me drive it. Over 100 in 3rd and see ask me to slow down, I did after just a little longer :p
Most thrilling over 100 was my 45 Willys, it liked to float at about 110 :eek:
First over 150, 75 Kaw 900. The good thing is he wrote me a warning after telling me the showed 152, what a nice guy.[cl

Attachments

• MC 004.jpg
    MC 004.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 16
Dr. C, I had a bad case of righteous indignation, and that caused me to bleed so much. Some of the local teenagers had a social club and that night we put on a dance at a country hall. Halfway through the night a bunch of older drunken bullies came out from the nearest city and crashed the party without paying. I got angry and approached the loudest guy and asked him to pay. He just chuckled and said, " Ok, kid, I'll pay, but then I'm going to beat the he## out of you". Like a dummy I said, Ok, as long as you pay". So he did, ---- both.

Thanks for the explanation, Mac. I played ambulance for a friend once, in a similar but different story. In a flurry of fists, he chucked his right hand through a plate glass window. We were at a lake cabin, 60 miles from nowhere and his cut was serious... wrapped tight and dripping, he hung it out the passenger window while I performed my best Steve McQueen impression all the way to the hospital. He was lucky and didn't suffer any permanent damage to his hand. My car, however, had blood spattered all down the side and looked like something straight out of a horror film. I can only imagine what it looked like to the innocent, unsuspecting motorist as it flew by, much less a cop. (Yes, there was alcohol involved.)

Oh Skip, I have been three-quarters retired for fifteen years and then fully retired the last couple of years.
If you are laughing at my guess at what a machine operator would make now-a-days, I guessed low because I'm used to working in the Alberta oilfields so I'm spoiled. A young fella around here who is an operator can probably make 30 to 40 dollars an hour. He probably wouldn't buy used tires though.

Doc, I was thinking ahead on my hospital run. I had pried off my favorite 'full disc with nice flipper' hubcap and threw it upside down into the floor of the back seat and crawled in above it. The car was fairly easy to clean up afterwards. I did make a mistake saying "please hurry" though. I have been giving our ages some thought, and I think I was 17 and my cousin was 15.

My trip was in my 66 Charger with the 383 on Interstate 77 late one night on the way to Florida from Charlotte. The Speedo on those cars go to 150, I got it to 135. The only vehicle on the road was a tanker truck on the horizon, ten seconds later “whoosh!” . The car had power nothing, including steering, I backed off when I realized after passing the truck that things were starting to get a little fishy.

i remember when i was a about 6yrs my Dad tried to get his red Hillman Hunter to 100mph-- dam thing tried, poor little 1750cc motor just couldnt get past 97mph and "dont tell your mom.." was heard by that youngster

around 9yrs i went for a ride in a fairly new Mitsi GTO with one my Dad's fishing buddies,, he thought he might get a telling off and backed off nearly there too ....

took till my teens a shiney saturday afternoon in my friends Mk2 Ford Zodiac fat wheels and a hot mk3 Zephyr 6 we hit "the Ton" ! trouble was when we needed to stop couple hundred yards up the road ,, all the brake fluid had dissappeared !! amazing im still here really.... good times

pics are pretty close to the original cars,

Attachments

• hh.jpg
    hh.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 8
  • gto.jpg
    gto.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 8
  • mk2.jpg
    mk2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts