53 AD Chopped, sectioned and narrowed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it [cl The rear glass does need to stay like that to put the whole thing in perspective :cool:
Are there more body panels to be expected or will it stay like this?

Thanks everyone!!!
There will be a sun visor going on but, no more body parts.
Unfortunately, the customer is dead set on me filling in this rear window and making it 5" tall and 21" long.
What he's wanting is, in my mind, gonna look out of place :( :confused:
I'm gonna mock up the window with cardboard so he can get a visual and hoping to change his mind :rolleyes:
I'll post the mock up.

My 2 cents...
I could se making the rear window a bit smaller to go with the chopped and sectioned proportions but a mail slot window isn’t going to to it in my eyes,
Unless you are going for the “ cartoon “ look.
JMHO
Torchie

Yeah, I would be on board with making the window shorter and narrower, but a mail slot is going to look silly on that cab in my opinion. That's the frustration of doing work for customers, I suppose.

With what you guys stated, i'm gonna make a couple different templates to show him.
It's not quite a mail slot. It'll actually be the same size as the factory one on my 37 GMC

too bad he wants it changed. IMO this size fits like a glove after all mods you did to the rest of the cab. Makes it look kinda refreshing or friendly or something [S
just tell him I said he needs to leave it as is :D

Lol
It may not be a legit mail slot but 5” is a pretty short window.
When I do things like this it’s all about the look. Just like chopping a top I may have an amount in mind but that can change if it doesn’t look right.
Plus..... no offense to your customer but most people can’t visualize what 5 inches really looks like.
The different mock ups are a good idea. A simple way to make sure you don’t have to keep doing it over.😎

too bad he wants it changed. IMO this size fits like a glove after all mods you did to the rest of the cab. Makes it look kinda refreshing or friendly or something [S
just tell him I said he needs to leave it as is :D

Lol
It may not be a legit mail slot but 5” is a pretty short window.
When I do things like this it’s all about the look. Just like chopping a top I may have an amount in mind but that can change if it doesn’t look right.
Plus..... no offense to your customer but most people can’t visualize what 5 inches really looks like.
The different mock ups are a good idea. A simple way to make sure you don’t have to keep doing it over.😎
I personally love the look and the openness it gives the inside looking out.
No one else, at least around here, has done this.
Torchie, I know what you're talking about.
We'll see when he comes by this evening :rolleyes:

Well, if ya can't tellem anything, ya just cut it up [ddd
I'll have to lower the window a couple inches but, ya get the idea :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 91.jpg
    91.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 92.jpg
    92.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 93.jpg
    93.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 94.jpg
    94.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 95.jpg
    95.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 96.jpg
    96.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 96
LOL..... Well as the first Chef that I ever worked under used to say. " The customer isn't always right, but they are always the customer."
It's doesn't look bad that way I just liked it better with the full window.
Regardless of the window size, the workmanship is still top notch!
[P [P [P
Torchie

The customer is always right, even when he's not right... as long as he understands the term, "billable hours". :p

You got that right Doc :)
LOL..... Well as the first Chef that I ever worked under used to say. " The customer isn't always right, but they are always the customer."
It's doesn't look bad that way I just liked it better with the full window.
Regardless of the window size, the workmanship is still top notch!
[P [P [P
Torchie

The Chef is right
Thanks

attachment.php

you know what, it may be an unpopular opinion but I dont hate it. I think it needs to stay right there though, it really fits the truck.

I’m with joedoh, not as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Give credit to the metal worker, without his skills it would be a pos!:D[cl[ddd

Well, as much as I would question the customer's judgement with that wheel/tire combo (still terrible), I have to say I personally prefer the smaller window. IMO the other one was just too tall and it threw off the flow of the chop. Opinions though, you know...

Well, as much as I would question the customer's judgement with that wheel/tire combo (still terrible), I have to say I personally prefer the smaller window. IMO the other one was just too tall and it threw off the flow of the chop. Opinions though, you know...

Me too.

[ddd I vote for turning it into a "big back window". Add corner windows and stretch the middle window to as close as you can to the corners. Like just gasket between them.

Latest posts

Back