'34 Dodge Brothers, double build.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Guys. Those holes probably had something to do with the crack, but there is a bolthole in the bottom of the frame, [where the running board bracket bolted on at] that was more guilty. Also, farmers are really bad,[notorious even] for overloading their trucks, and the PO picked rocks off his fields and overloaded this poor little truck something awful.
Anyhow, today I did some brakeline and fuel line work. A number of things went wrong, so not a good day. I needed a line that had two different size ends, and I didn't figure it out until quite a bit of time was wasted. Then another line was mislabeled, and must have been a metric size, so would not screw into anywhere. I also didn't figure that out until some time was wasted. My fuel line had to be 81" long, so I spliced two lengths together and carefully measured the distance needed again. I cut the line a wee bit too long on purpose, then practiced double flaring the throw away piece. It came out pretty nice, with this newish and expensive tool. I got confident and cut off my fuel line to the right length and flared it, ------- badly, so I had to cut the line a wee bit shorter again. Luckily, then it was suppertime, and that went well.

Dealing with set backs make a person stronger. I learned my lesson. I buy premade lines and make them fit. I understand the better flaring tools work well. Your write up of the events of the day brought a smile to my face. Keep up the cool build on one of my favorite trucks.

I envy those guys that can run brake and fuel lines straight with uniform bends on 2 or more lines perfectly.

My best attempts always look like a batch of spaghettis. Not going to see many pictures on my brake and fuel lines.
Function is the goal, pretty is optional.
I don't do optional very often.

I’m with Bob and Gene, I buy premade easy bend lines and connect them where needed. I don’t even own a double flare tool, only a single flare. If I have a line that’s a little too long, I make a loop near one end or somewhere toward the middle to take up the excess space. If you think out where to put the loop you can make it look sorta like the factory might have done it.

Today went a way better. Thanks Guys for the kind words.
I double flared the fuel line like a semi-pro. After mounting it, I grabbed a brakeline that was the right size but too long, bent it accordingly, marked it, cut it off and double flared it.
Then came the horrible task of cleaning up the work area and putting all of the tools away. I swept the floor and ran the engine crane in under the truck to get the motor and transmission out from the back end of the shop. Tomorrow I'll pull the pick-up out of the shop, turn it around and stuff it back in, onto the hoist, so I can drop the motor in and see how it fits.

Attachments

• IMG_1405.JPG
    IMG_1405.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
Guys, Guys, Guys, it's not that deep in the shop. And there are only four other cars and one tractor that need attention. Oh, and some motors sitting around and the 4-H kids projects.
An old friend came by today wanting a tour, so we set out to see the sites. After the shop we went out to the machine shed, [cold storage] and wandered around. There were nineteen vehicles in there and only half of them are runners.
But I haven't forgotten about any of them.
Today I pulled the Dodge Brothers truck out of the shop, turned it around, and pushed it back in onto the hoist.
What took most of the time was adding an invention to my gin pole to save time. After I took my blade off the tractor, I put the bucket on and attached my eight foot gin pole to it. I have a 2" receiver in the outer end of the pole. Mostly, I use a clevis hitch stinger in it. Well, today I though it would be cool if I made the clevis so it would telescope into the pole. That way I can just get pretty close to the thing I'm going to tow or push, [this gin pole is also a tow bar], then extend out the new telescoping hitch to the dead vehicle, pin it, and drive the loader tractor ahead until the hitch is in its right place, and pin it. Easy peasy. Well my welder kept snarling up the wire, so it took a long while to weld the extra length on the stinger.

Attachments

• IMG_1407.JPG
    IMG_1407.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
I told you about making my clevis stinger into a telescoping bar, yesterday, but I forgot to take any pictures. Here are two pic of the extended stinger.
Meanwhile back in the shop, I tried to squish this elephant motor in this poor little truck. Pic three.

Attachments

• IMG_1408.JPG
    IMG_1408.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1414.JPG
    IMG_1414.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1419.JPG
    IMG_1419.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Mac, that tricked out Hemi is the single most perfect engine for that truck. It`s a great match with the skinny wire wheels. :giggle:

Hey Guys, you sound even more optimistic than I feel. I sure liked the idea of a Hemi peeking out of the engine bay, BUT, it is so big that it's not just peeking out, it's taking up about 112% of the space. In the pictures today you'll see about where the motor will sit. The fenders will have to be notched, I think, and the steering column will have to be 'bent and twisted'.
There is some sitting on a pail, 'imagineering' in my immediate future.
Would this be a 'mocked up, mocked up' Hemi?

Attachments

• IMG_1420.JPG
    IMG_1420.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1421.JPG
    IMG_1421.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
You guys are lucky you've never had to stuff a marshmallow into a Ketchup bottle. I'm here to tell, that some of the 'marshmallow' incidents are less fun than others. But, Smalls, I am done ---- some of the 'imagineering' anyway. There is a plan now.
Gene, there never was going to be hood sides to hide the motor, but the fenders will even have to be modified somewhat.
After a big wind storm last night, I had to do some yard work, saving the garden shed from a big old dead 'balm' tree, [cottonwood] that fell and caught up in another tree and was suspended scarily just above the shed.

Latest posts

Back