First car you ever went over 100mph in?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
For me, my high school car... 1957 Lincoln 2-door hardtop!

1st car over 150mph... my roommates '69 427 Vette!

BoB

I was in the back seat of my '56 Meteor, bleeding profusely into my favorite, inverted flipper hubcap, and my 14 year old cousin was taking me to the hospital after a severe beating. We went well over 100 mph.
In my '68 SuperBee I was getting close to 150 when decided I didn't need to know what that felt like. My front end was getting pretty light, so I might get to feel what 'dead' felt like..

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 14
100 MPH long before I could drive, riding shotgun with my father in a few cars we owned back then... a '62 Impala, a '65 Impala and a '69 Impala in succession, all were 327 powered.

Also as a kid, my uncle (Mom's brother) was the devil himself behind the wheel.[ddd He had a '63 Pontiac convertible, also 327 powered. (Canadian Pontiac anomaly.) The car was kinda rough but we went as fast as that car could go many times. He later had a couple of Mopars, most notably a black six-pack 'Cuda. I don't know for sure if we broke 150 in that car but it could "bury the needle" easily...

I'm thinking, my '67 Impala SS was the first car I owned and drove past 100. Like Mac's SuperBee, it would get a little flighty around 120. Unlike Mac's car, the big Imp had too much gear to go much faster anyhow. Oh, and it had a 327 as well. :p

What was the beating for, Mac? :eek:

First 100+ was 73 Ford Mach 1, back seat, wild ride. Next 100+ was 66 Chrysler, 383, T&C wagon., I was behind the wheel. Much better, very stable 😏

Hmmmm, not sure, but... The first time I remember driving over 100 was in my 64 Sport Fury. it was memorable because the officer that pulled me over complemented me on my driving and only wrote me for ten over. Reality was 135+ in a 65. Never been over 150 on the ground that I recall.

Hoho! A 65 Chevelle Malibu with a 194. It would run 105 no matter what you did unless you were towing it with something faster. That was a step up from my 1st vehicle (42 Jeep) 45 miles an hour down hill...:rolleyes:

First car over a hundred. Riding in my Grandfathers 62 Imperial LaBaron.
413 wedge in it.🙀
First car 130. My wife’s Benz E class. V -8 and the Speedo went to 160. Still had pedal left. To many deer around here.
My first boat ride over 60. Donzi Sweet 16 with a Holman-Moody 302 in it . Scared the s#*! Out of me. 😳
Torchie

First over 100 was probably my 77 Firebird Formula 400. Was probably first over 120, too. That thing would fly, no telling what too end was.
Another was my 92 Tbird 5.0, it would run out of numbers and still be climbing. The 86 Vette with the TPI 350 was another that I never found top end. The digital speedometer would freeze at about 140, you’d still have a lot left. Faster it went, the more it hugged the road. Not a lot of places to air one out like that. Like torchie said, too many deer and other animals around, at those speeds a rabbit would be like hitting a concrete block.

First time over 100 was in my 55 Chev pickup with a 394 Olds engine - sloppy stock steering made for an exciting ride...:eek:
Never been 150 but had another exciting ride with my brother in his 56 Ford with a 429 in it, needle pinned at 120 and still accelerating well beyond that - never got in that car again (chicken :eek:) - he totaled it a week later, that kinda took the lead out of his right foot.....

Went around a hundred on the back of a Sportster in a shopping center parking lot at 2:00 am. 110 in a sidecar. Gotta be drunk to do that. Yup.
125 in a '33 Willys at Minnesota Dragways.
150 in a Richard Petty ride along.
Perfectly happy going slow now days.

Dr. C, I had a bad case of righteous indignation, and that caused me to bleed so much. Some of the local teenagers had a social club and that night we put on a dance at a country hall. Halfway through the night a bunch of older drunken bullies came out from the nearest city and crashed the party without paying. I got angry and approached the loudest guy and asked him to pay. He just chuckled and said, " Ok, kid, I'll pay, but then I'm going to beat the he## out of you". Like a dummy I said, Ok, as long as you pay". So he did, ---- both.

My buddy had a 70 Mach 1. We hit the highway one night after a movie and he decided he wanted to get home fast. If I remember we did 114mph. Recently with covid and empty highway, I was tempted to hit 100 in my Wife's 02 Mustang GT. But like said above, too many deer. Jim

After my uncle tuned his 32 in preparation for the drag strip, he took me with him for a test ride....whoooooweeee 283 3 2s Lincoln Zepher trans, big Olds
rear, and pie slicks. Remember it like yesterday ;). When in high school I
talked my parents into letting me buy a 57 chevy post and I tested it's
limits a few times also a 283 that I had to fill with oil and check the gas often
:rolleyes::D.

My first car 53 Belaire 103 with an automatic and only 100 with a standard three speed.[S
115 in my 57 Fairlane 500 with a lot left, along with four tickets for the exhibition.
69 Super Bee 147, engine was crapping out and wouldn't make the 150 on the speedo.
Fastest ever 170 in my 65 Goat

Bruno, you made me remember that I bought used black-wall tires from the tire shop for $2.00 each sometimes. They might go 100 just a well as the expensive ones.
If you don't use the dollar as a yardstick for value, and use an hour of work instead, you'll see that it took me an hour and a quarter to buy a used tire back then. Now, a machine operator can make $25.00 and hour, so you could buy a thirty dollar used tire today. About the same.

Latest posts

Back