Home made steering column

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odies dad

I would like to build my own steering column from scratch. I have tried googling the subject and several come up but the photo bucket ransom has lost all the pictures.
Does anyone have any tutorials that still have the pictures?
I am thinking exhaust tubing (SS?) with bearings and 3/4" DD shaft, a measuring cup for the bell at the wheel end, etc.

What is the general consensus on using a telescopic or collapsible steering shaft?
I can't see how it would make much of a difference on a model a with cross steering. The engine would smash me long before the steering column would come into play.

What should I use for the top end of the column to mount the steering wheel?
All I have been seeing are the quick release hubs (Not for highway use).

Speedway Motors has a hot rod column just like you describe. They probably have something you could use to mount the wheel if you still want to make your own.

What is the general consensus on using a telescopic or collapsible steering shaft?
I can't see how it would make much of a difference on a model a with cross steering. The engine would smash me long before the steering column would come into play.

I`m no steering / suspension guru by any means, but I think some room for moving in and out would be to prevent locking up due frame flex

Latest posts

Back