1934 Plymouth five window

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.
Then the steering wheel caught my eye. I had bought part of an unknown brand banjo wheel down in Montana when I was wandering around. It needed some TLC, so I started building the circumference out of Epoxy Putty plastic filler, made by Por15. The first picture is the first stab at it. It takes a lot of kneading with your thumbs to make the two different coloured bricks pliable and mixed. The second picture is when I ran out of material.

Attachments

• IMG_2160.jpg
    IMG_2160.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2161.jpg
    IMG_2161.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 33
Torchie, that's one 16 oz. box full of Epoxy Putty, although there are two different coloured bricks in there. I'm being a little bit harsh calling them bricks, as they are slightly more malleable than real bricks. They are about like an old Eatmore chocolate bar. After you've worn your thumbs right out mixing these bricks together, they do get a little nicer to work with. Well, I'm off to town to find some more Epoxy Putty.

Torchie, that's one 16 oz. box full of Epoxy Putty, although there are two different coloured bricks in there. I'm being a little bit harsh calling them bricks, as they are slightly more malleable than real bricks. They are about like an old Eatmore chocolate bar. After you've worn your thumbs right out mixing these bricks together, they do get a little nicer to work with. Well, I'm off to town to find some more Epoxy Putty.

:cool::cool::cool:
I've seen this stuff before but never worked with it.
The steering wheels that I have done have only been crack repair or small missing pieces.
[P [P [P and learning.:)
Torchie

Well I found another box of Epoxy Putty in Edmonton and got it shipped up here. So I finished dobbing it on the wheel and let it harden. Then I made a sanding board out of a piece of exhaust tubing, and started making Putty dust.

Attachments

• IMG_2162.jpg
    IMG_2162.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2163.jpg
    IMG_2163.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2164.jpg
    IMG_2164.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 33
I got quite a bit of sanding done, but I didn't take any pictures, [that's kinda like watching paint dry]. I'm going to top up the little thumb prints and valleys with body filler tomorrow, as it's a way easier to smooth out, green.
Thank you guys
Animal, you were right it is a pain in the butt.

Thank you guys. I had sanded down the Epoxy Putty before, so then I turned the wheel up-side-down and started body filling the bottom side of the wheel. The bottom was not as nicely shaped as the top so it took a few applications of filler but I think I've applied the last layer of body filler. This last application has not been sanded.

I also worked on one of my 4-H projects [the old flathead out of the '36] to get closer to ready for achievement day.

Latest posts

Back