Pumping gas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Crusty Rusty Old Rat Rodder!
How many of you worked in a service station when you were a kid? I worked at an Enco station when i was 16. I enjoyed working there as much as any other job i have had. All of us that worked there quit when they told us we had to wear red bowties and red belts. No self respecting 16 year old would wear a bowtie back then.

Started at a Shell when I was 14, $.75/hr, good for a 14 yr old back then.
At 16 I went to work at a "Flying A". The boss let us sign for gas and oil, come payday I often owed him money.:p

Had a service station on my paper route and went by daily. Wanted to work there. Had to check out the cars. Was terrific to spot a Model A on the old cylinder lift.

Yup when I was 13 I worked after school for a couple hours a day at the local Shell station. Was a great job and I made a $1.90 a day.

Ok... I'll show my age! The man across the street from us owned 3 Esso stations & I worked at one of them every summer in high school... gas was 19.9 cents a gallon! It was full service... we washed the windows, checked oil, tires & filled the tank. We also gave away plates, glasses & green stamps periodically. Those were the daze! Can't remember how much I made but it wasn't much but a full burger meal was only 35 cents & a used car could be had for a couple hundred greenbacks. But remember... those were *real* dollars... not like the worthless ones we have now!

BoB

BoB

My second job. It was a Arco station I believe. Back when gas smelled like gas. Lol
To quote Mr Chuck Berry....
“ Working in a filling station. Too many tasks. Check the water. Check the oil. Check the air. Dollar gas....”
Torchie

At 16 I worked at Consumers Service Station $1.25 hr.
They were called Filling Stations back then here.
Leased a Gulf Station when I was 22 on the corner of Fort and Sunshine in Springfield Mo

Last edited:
Worked at gas or service staion as they were called as a kid in school. Pumped gas, washed windshields and checked the oil in every car that came thru..worked at an Esso 1st then onto an Arco station, all for $1.00 per hour.. and loved every minute of it! The Arco station housed 2 race cars. A , B Modified 65 Plymouth and a C modified 67 Camero...I was in heaven!!!! Plus I honed my beer drinking skills every night after work while working on different cars! Aaaaahhh they were the good ole days!

Worked at gas or service staion as they were called as a kid in school. Pumped gas, washed windshields and checked the oil in every car that came thru..worked at an Esso 1st then onto an Arco station, all for $1.00 per hour.. and loved every minute of it! The Arco station housed 2 race cars. A , B Modified 65 Plymouth and a C modified 67 Camero...I was in heaven!!!! Plus I honed my beer drinking skills every night after work while working on different cars! Aaaaahhh they were the good ole days!

Sounds like had a mighty fine youth, CR55.

My first job was working for a man that owned a shop called
Morris Watch Shop... not sure why because it was more of a
gun shop...(thousands !!!!) also jewelry and watches... people
from all over the country and Europe? came to deal with the
owner... mostly I just did clean up and stocking cut grass pretty
much what ever he asked. I did pick up some ideas on how to
do gun repair and rebuilding from the guy doing it.. what I do
regret is I could have bought guns or anything else for that
matter for cost...:eek: most would be worth a small fortune
today...still have about 20 case knifes I did buy. Oh yeah , 1.00 hr
after school and Saturday's trying to save up for my first car so
I didn't have much extra cash....by the way..first car was a 57
Chevy 2dr post....used more oil than gas, ha...

I worked at a real full service station like every neighbourhood used to have... tires, parts, mechanic on duty, anything your car might need.

I did a little of everything at a fair hourly rate. I earned and accepted some tips... coins or paper... no bits of skin. :eek:

Never got to experience the gas jockey deal. They were filling stations if it was a ma and pop deal with pumps out front and groceries inside. Service stations had a garage and a mechanic...
I mowed lawns for 2 bucks a pop. Shoot, they get 100 bucks for those yards now. At 16 when I got on the books with social security and the irs, I worked for the city recreation department in the summers. If you've seen a baseball or softball diamond with clay infields, that's what I did. Drove a war time Jeep dragging those diamonds flat and smooth...was a blast.

At 16 I worked at a car wash in the late 60's. As window wiper, two of us had to jump inside the car as it was tugged through, after wash and before rinse, one in the front one in the back. We would alternate front back to be fair, because the front had more glass. In the 60's most cars especially the two door had much smaller windows in the back. Woe to "back guy" if a station wagon came through...

Neighbors up the street had a service station, and the sons of the owner built 2 (two) 1930 -ish Chevy high top coupe street rods, both with 327 engines. The nicer one was painted a lavender color, the other one was more ratty. Very cool to see and hear them come down our street.

In the 60's... a chick friend of mine worked at an Esso station on the feeder street of our local interstate. Lots of guys used to pull in just to have a girl fill up their tank! :D

BoB

In the 60's... a chick friend of mine worked at an Esso station on the feeder street of our local interstate. Lots of guys used pulled in just to have a girl fill up their tank! :D

BoB

I worked with a couple of gals at gas stations as well. Unfortunately I had to step in more then once with some of the Male customers :mad:
Torchie

Latest posts

Back