Hubcap Clip Replacement

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycledog

A really rusty biker
I finally figured out that the 16" smoothies I rounded up were 30's-40's Mopar. I wanted to run hubcaps but most of the clips were shot. (btw chevy or ford caps will not work). I had gotten some clips from Chevs of the 40's and some VW but wouldn't work.

I finally found the correct clips at Mithchell Motors. If you ever want to replace your clips heres how I did mine.

First step was to powder coat the clips the same color I powdered the wheels.
After a good cleaning in mineral spirits I mounted the clips for coating. Next the bare metal needs to be heated to temp to outgas and burn off contaminates. I had an infrared heater I thought I would try instead of the oven or toaster oven, to my surprise it worked fine for small stuff.

The important thing in powder coating is that the metal needs to hot, not the powder. After the pre heat I shot the powder. The minuet that the object is cool you can work with it, so on to the wheel, I had to replace all five clips on this wheel.

Attachments

• hubclip1.jpg
    hubclip1.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 29
  • hubclip2.jpg
    hubclip2.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 25
  • hubclip3.jpg
    hubclip3.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 27
  • hubclip4.jpg
    hubclip4.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 25
  • hubclip5.jpg
    hubclip5.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 31
Next order of business is to drill out the old rivets. I used a spring punch to make a starter hole for the drill. I drilled to the point in the second image and used a drift punch to knock out the old rivet. I didn't want to drill too far and take a chance of egging out the hole.

Here are the tools I used, nothing fancy as you can see. Notice the high budget bucking bars I got out of a ditch while walking a rail line hunting Pheasant. I used an air chisel with the appropriate size rivet set.

All five clips replaced ready for the cap. I have some yellow One Shot I will do touch up a coat the rivet head.

Attachments

• hubclip6.jpg
    hubclip6.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 17
  • hubclip7.jpg
    hubclip7.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 22
  • hubclip8.jpg
    hubclip8.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 22
  • hubclip9.jpg
    hubclip9.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 21
  • hubclip10.jpg
    hubclip10.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 30
cycledog,

I know it's been a while, but I have 2 questions...

1. I'm not familiar with 'Mithchell Motors'. Can you (or anybody) give me a better contact for them.

2. The rivets. Solid rivets, right? Steel, stainless, aluminium? Did you use 3/16" Dia X 3/8" Len?

Thanks.

Bob

Latest posts

Back