build yer own ENGLISH WHEEL

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59imp

ok, so i stole this idea from a metalworking site, here's a link, http://www.roddingroundtable.com/tech/articles/12ewheel.html
but it was easy to build from junk i had in the shop, and it actually works!!

i built the frame from rectangular tubing left over from Fatdog's Anglia frame. i added some gussets in the corners to prevent deflection

DSC02327.jpg

i used an axle bearing for the top anvil, and i cut the bearing out of a pillow block for the bottom.

DSC02322.jpg

i made it so both are easily removed from the frame.

DSC02326.jpg

DSC02325.jpg

you're going to have to find a collapsible steering column with a hex or rectangular shaft, this is really important cause you don't want the anvils to have any lateral movement. i would guess any vehicle made after the late 60s-70s would have a collapsible steering column, but i'm not sure, i had one kicking around and i think it came from a Jeep. i cut the shaft down, welded a nut to the bottom of the shaft housing , welded three pieces round stock to a long bolt and stuck it up the bottom for a way to tighten it.

DSC02328.jpg

part two

it took a bit of mucking around to get both anvils to line up, i shimmed the top one a bit to get it right, it took me two nights after dinner to make, after i had a good plan in my head. it's about 12" tall and 16" deep so you can actually wheel metal almost 32" it you flip the material around. it works real well... and it was FREE.... just clamp it in a big vise and 'bobsyeruncle'

UPDATE: i had a few questions about making this wheel, so this is the pillow block bearing, i had to make a bushing and an axle

DSC04820.jpg

the bearing has a small oiling hole in it, it's off to one side so it dosen't affect the work

DSC04821.jpg

then i made a simple saddle and welded it onto the hex shaft

DSC04822.jpg

DSC04823.jpg

DSC04824.jpg

part three

DSC04826.jpg

the upper bearing needed a bushing too

DSC04827.jpg

so i kinda followed the plan from the website and massaged it to work with what i had laying around, both the bearings were used and as long as there're not 'crunchy' who cares, coupla nights and some junk, easy.

there are lotsa places on the WEB to but anvil kits, they're kinda spendy, i just wanted to see if this would work, and it really does!

whataya waiting for, you know you want one, git building!

How does it work?

i don't have much experience with metal shaping, but this little wheel seems to work very well. i've used it for a couple small projects, and like any tool the more you use it the more proficient you get with it.....

overall i'd give it a 'hell ya' and two thumbs up.....

Damn good starter set to see if you like working a wheel. They are fun, but can be frustrating, in the beginning. Spend hours working on a part, only to get confused on what way you wanted a panel to curve, and after a couple pushes,,, you have really cool scrap.

Latest posts

Back